Thursday, July 31, 2008

Eternity & Fish...HUH?


I was thinking of something the other day while watching the fish in our 55-gallon aquarium.  When we first got it, Jason and I joked that we might move the couch into the foyer so that we could be comfortable as we watched the little fish swim back and forth, back and forth across the tank!  Why is that so mesmerizing?  Anyway, I was watching one day and I wondered about the fish.  Are they bored?  Are they happy?  What are they thinking about?  I couldn't help but think about how bored I would be if all I had to do was swim around in the same tank, day after day.  Then, I remembered that a fish's mind is finite compared to ours, so I concluded that they are most likely as happy as they can be, since that aquarium is the only life they know.  They just don't know any better!  

On some level, that made me think of God, and how He knows all about what else is out there, yet here we are, living day to day on the earth, getting bent out of shape sometimes over petty things and being all wrapped up in ourselves.  Our minds are so finite compared to God's that He probably does wonder about us sometimes!  But there is a great hope!  The psalmist wrote in Psalm 103:13-14, "Just as a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear Him.  For He Himself knows our frame; He is mindful that we are but dust."  So, like the fish in the aquarium, God knows that we don't understand what it's like to live anywhere else but on this fallen earth.  Still, He extends His mercy to us so that one day we CAN know better.  And I am excited beyond words!!  One day, we will get "out of the tank" and be in a world that in one sense is unfamiliar to us, but in a greater sense will be home, because we will be with so many loved ones and most importantly our Father.  So among all the good things that God has blessed us with in this world, what gives the greatest hope is that because we know Christ, it will only get better.  Now that makes life worth living!

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

.....and i can't wait. We certainly are living in a tank and a very small one at that when compared to what God has for us. It overwhelms me sometime when i really meditate on it. I love it!!!

PS Who needs Beth Moore?? ha