Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ashlyn



Today is a special day at our house.  Our sweet Ashlyn is 7 years old.  Sometimes that is hard to believe, but at other times it's like I can hardly remember life without her being around!
I remember carrying her in my womb and reading aloud Psalm 139.  I wondered what she would look like, what would be her likes and dislikes and what she would become. Turns out she is beautiful, she likes animals (especially horses, cats and butterflies), the color yellow, sports, fruits and vegetables, being outside and music (just to name a few).  She dislikes chocolate, carbonated beverages and the Haunted Mansion ride at Disneyworld (I mean she REALLY dislikes that).  She is such a bright and sunny child with a very sweet disposition.  Our prayer is that God will continue to mold and shape her into the person HE wants her to become, although if she has her way, she will be, and I quote, a "veterinarian, a farmer, a zookeeper and a jockey-or anything where I can be around animals".  
 As far as the latter, I can't wait to see what God will do in her life.  He has already used her in so many ways to be a blessing to me.  Here is one instance that stands out:  when she was 5 years old, I was putting her to bed and she said, "I can't wait to die".  I, being very startled to hear that, asked her "Why?".  She very confidently replied, "'cause I can't wait to see Jesus!"  That was a moment I will never forget.  How sweet and precious is the faith of a child!!  Sometimes it scares me to love someone so much.  I often have to pray that God will harness those fears, and He, of course, is faithful to gently remind me that her life is in His hands.  And I know that I can trust Him completely!

Hope you enjoy this short clip I pulled from the "Ashlyn" archives.  It's one of my favorites!!


2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Ashlyn!! You're a special little person and I'm so glad to have you as my little friend!

Love Kim

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the video and the special memory. It seems only a short time ago we sat and waited your arrival. What a wonderful and day! You are a special young lady. I love you a bushel and a peck and a hug around the neck!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEETIE

Aunt Wina