Monday, July 7, 2008

The Charlotte Mason Way


Over the weekend, as much as possible, I immersed myself into a book describing the Charlotte Mason method of teaching.  This is a method that I am really excited about implementing this school year.  To follow her way of teaching is to basically encourage the love of knowledge and learning, not just individual pieces of information (memorized facts, etc.)  She believes (and so do I) that education goes FAR beyond academics, and includes manners, discipline and an understanding of God's world and the natural things around us.  
One of my favorite Charlotte Mason insights so far (I'm not even halfway through the book) is that when a child is misbehaving, it is good to acknowledge to the child that their misbehavior is a result of sin and that Jesus Christ is the only one to save us from our sin.  While I teach my children about Jesus, I wonder how often I actually make that connection for them in a practical way (like applying it to their own sin).  Many times I simply react to the present offense and administer the necessary discipline, then stop there.  Something to think about!
My goal as a homeschooler (and a mother) is not only to teach my kids what they need to learn in the academic realm, but to instill in them a love of learning, because then they will always be able to find out what they need to know.  Most of all, though, I know that God has created each of my children with a unique purpose, and I (along with Jason, dependent upon the guidance of the Lord) have the responsibility to help them as they navigate through these early years, to discover their God-given gifts and help lead them in the direction they were meant to go.  
I have much more to learn, but I am so excited to implement this "gentle art of learning" as it has been called, and continue on this wonderful journey of teaching my children.  

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Great pics!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this idea and of course, although I don't homeschool it's still a method that can be used in just raising my kids. Thanks for all your Godly insight.