Thursday, July 10, 2008

It's a Way of Life


Jason was telling me the other day that he was trying to straighten up one of the rugs in our house and Jake was right there with him, trying his best to straighten that rug too.  He follows Jason around like a little puppy and tries to do whatever he sees his dad doing.  We have even played games with it, like moving our arms around in certain ways just to see if he will do it too, and he always comes through!  He is such an imitator of us!!!
Okay, so I found a great spiritual connection there.  I know this isn't an original thought, but sometimes I just need to be reminded.  Kids are sometimes wonderful (albeit inadvertent) teachers.  I learn alot from watching my kids.  While thinking of the relationship between Jason and Jake, I could not help but think of Ephesians 5:1, where we are urged to be "imitators of God, like beloved children".  So, Jake wants to be just like his dad--he does his very best to imitate him.  He can't always do it perfectly, but he tries his best.  Just like Jake, I want to imitate my Father--to do what He does.  Forgive.  Show compassion.  Love, even when there is no return.  It won't be perfect, but just as Jason would never reject Jake for not being perfect, I can trust in my Father's love and know that He is right there willing to help me.  I'm always amazed at the way God uses my little ones to remind me of Biblical truths.  And they are completely unaware of being used by God (that's a whole other blog in itself)!
By the way, can you see what the back of Jason's shirt says in the picture?  It sums it all up.  (For a hint, check the title of the blog)

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

"like beloved children"

Somehow I never noticed that part. Thanks- Great post.

Anonymous said...

If that kid ever ends up 1/2 as good lookin' as his dad he will do just fine! Hot.

Unknown said...

Amy, you bring tears to my eyes for the way you write about your babies. Oh if only all parents were as loving as you are to your children.