Friday, July 25, 2008

A Cry to Simplify



The longer I live, the more I realize that I don't like stuff.  I don't mean just any stuff.  I mean just having lots and lots of "stuff".  Maybe I'm a little extreme sometimes, but I just can't stand having excess--things sitting around that never get used.  I am taking a break from "cleaning out" today to write this, which is why it is on my mind.
I remember being a little kid, and wanting just two or three things on my dresser instead of having it cluttered with all different kinds of things.  I guess it is safe to say that this is my natural tendency.  But somewhere along the way I started accumulating all of these "valuable" things that I am struggling to know what to do with.  What I am truly longing for is simplicity.  Organization is definitely not my strong suit, so in order to eliminate clutter, I just want less.  
I've always had the "less is more" frame of mind, though.  When I have to make a decision, for instance, I would prefer as few choices as possible.  That may seem weird in a society where people seem to thrive on "choice", but for me, too many choices is overwhelming.  Even still, though, it can be difficult because it is against of the grain of our culture, which is obsessed with wanting more.  When I look at magazines or am out in a store, I find myself wanting and "needing".  But when I get home, I realize that I have been blessed, I need to be content, and remember that in my heart I really don't want too much "stuff" anyway.  So, today I am cleaning out some "junk" drawers and some important drawers.  But with both types I'm just trying to simplify.  That is my cry today.  SIMPLIFY.  Anyone with me?

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Believe it or not, I am with you my daughter. When you finish with yours come and help me. We all need to simplify. I keep going back to the scripture in my mind that says, "Give me neither poverty nor riches: feed me with food that is my portion, that I not be full and deny You and say, "who is the Lord" or that I not be in want and steal,and profane the name of my God." GREAT ARTICLE

Anonymous said...

i cannot believe this. i, too, have been cleaning out drawers, rooms, a house full of stuff. obscene amounts of stuff. clothes that have never been worn, toys that have never been played with. i am embarrassed at the amount of things that i have accumulated in our house. no wonder my children and i struggle with being thankful when we have no idea what it is like to be in need. my heart has been crying out for simplicity these days. not merely a house void of clutter, but a life and heart that is not distracted by the things of the world. that sums it up for me. the things of this world are distracting me from storing up for myself treasures in heaven. as i bag up my belongings, i'm praying that i will be making room in my heart for God's belongings, his love and grace that i am in constant need of.