Monday, July 21, 2008

Why the Weeds?


Well, we finally made it home.  It was a very long day of traveling, although I must brag on little Jacob.  He did not even come close to crying the whole way home, AND he gave up his pacifier in the meantime!  He had lost his "passy" at Disneyworld, then he chewed a hole in his other one, so he has been two days without it.  Last night when I put him in bed he kind of looked around for it, then quickly (and quietly) gave up and laid down to sleep.  I am very happy about this!!
Anyway, this morning I was trying to do a little work in my flower bed and I was reminded of a little tidbit of truth that I wanted to share.  
When I got home, I took one look at my flowers and realized that it probably had not rained a drop since we had been gone.  They were wilted looking, and the ground was dusty and dry.  However, even though I had weeded the garden right before I left, the bed was covered in more weeds.  Same with our yard--the real grass is turning brown while the areas of crabgrass seem to be flourishing. 
So why is it that the good stuff requires so much TLC while the not-so-good stuff can grow in any condition?  Once again, God uses nature to reveal a little spiritual truth, for isn't it the same in our lives?  We have to constantly cultivate the good and stave off the bad, because of the fallen world in which we live.  The Bible says that one day we will live in a world that is free of natural harm (thorns, carnivores), and spiritual harm (Satan will be bound).  But until then, we must work hard to keep ourselves free from the "weeds" (sin) that can come up and discourage us and try to choke us out.  Those weeds will certainly take over if we are complacent, but the way to keep them at bay is by being proactive; praying and living out God's Word--continually.  And as encouragement, we can look forward to the coming day when all things will be made new and we will forever be in the physical presence of the living God!!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

When is your devotional book coming out?! You do such a wonderful job, maybe you should pray about such an endevor. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you who was responding! (Oops) I'm blond, what can I say!!!

Aunt Wina

Laura Blackman said...

did you take this pic?