Monday, January 26, 2009

Can You Hear Your "Heartbeep"?


Sweet Emily has to have a checkup tomorrow.  You must understand that I've been prepping her on this for a couple of weeks now, because as you probably know, four year olds don't deal well with being stuck with a needle!  Since my kids always do better when I'm completely honest with them, I decided to be proactive.  I talked to her about how the doctor would listen to her heart, check her ears, mouth, eyes, etc.  

So this morning she asked us all to be quiet so she could listen to her heart.  She laid her hand across her chest, looked around patiently, and then suddenly exclaimed, "I think I'm not going to die--my heart is still beeping!"  

Yea!  She understands that you must have a "beeping" heart to be alive!  Isn't that the same for us spiritually?  How many times do we do a "heart check"?  The Bible says in Psalm 139:23-24, 

Search me, O God, and know my heart
Try me and know my anxious thoughts
And see if there be any hurtful way in me
And lead me in the everlasting way.

That sounds like a spiritual checkup to me!  There have been times in my life when I've felt uneasy, even though I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason why.  I have prayed that Psalm during those times, and God has always been faithful to answer.  Many times I would be convicted of sin; perhaps an ungodly attitude or a wrong that I had committed.  As Christians we should regularly pray that God would examine our hearts, even when we think everything is fine, so that we can either become or remain spiritually healthy.  And remember, David wrote this Psalm in praise to God for His intimate knowledge of us, even before we were born.  That means we can trust in our Father, the Great Physician, that He won't miss a thing!  He loves us and desires for us to be in good fellowship with Him, and promises to work in our lives.  Be open to hear the Holy Spirit so that you can keep your spiritual "heartbeep" in check!

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

i'll be praying all goes well tomorrow. we'll have ours in february.

ashley brumley said...

i went to the dentist today. found out after getting a sealence and a filling i have to get braces. lots of fun.... novacain is not really that much fun because you can't drink hardly. i hope emily does well at the doctors tomorrow. tell everyone hi

ashley

ashley brumley said...

oh ya by the way thanks for the wonderful posting

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. It is the highlight of my day (or night!) Emily is so sweet and your message is so true. Keep writing!
We love you all and miss you at P.V.

Annette

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, as I read your post on the Dr appointment for Emily,(pray everything goes well) when I got to your comments on spiritual checkup I went and read psalm 139 I thought you and your readers might like to look as this with me as well.
Wonderfully Made

Psalm 139
A craftsman would work for months on a special piece that displayed his finest artistic skill. Finally, when the work was finished, he would present it to the craftsmen’s guild in hopes of achieving the rank of master. The work was called his masterpiece.
In Psalm 139 we see God the master craftsman, lovingly at work on his masterpiece. The psalm can have a profound impact on the way we view ourselves.

1. What qualities must be present in a true masterpiece?
2. Read Psalm 139. According to the psalmist, what specific things does the Lord know about us (Psalm 139:1-6)?
3. How do you respond to the fact that God constantly attends to your every thought, word and action?
4. The psalmist declares that God’s knowledge of him is wonderful (Psalm 139:6). Yet why do you think he also feels an urge to flee from God’s presence (Psalm 139:7-12)?
5. How do you hide your true self from God?

When do you hide your true self from others?

6. What words are used to describe God’s activity and artistry in making us (Psalm 139:13-16)?
7. Do you think of yourself as God’s artwork, his masterpiece? Why or why not?
8. David declares that God’s thoughts toward us outnumber all the grains of sand (Psalm 139:17-18). In what sense are God’s constant thoughts “precious” to you?
9. What encouragement does this psalm offer those who view themselves as worthless?
10. How does this psalm help you to feel more loved and valued by God?

11. After reflecting on what he has written, why do you think the psalmist invites God to search him, know him and test him (Psalm 139:23-24)?
12. Take time to thank God for the fact that you are “fearfully and wonderfully made.” Put Psalm 139:23-24 in your own words and express them to God in prayer.

Dear Lord I pray today that you will be with Emily, Lord I pray that you will search me and I known that you known my heart I pray that my heart will become more and more Christ like each and every beat , Lord I thank you that you do try me and known my thoughts, Lord I pray that you forgive me in my foughts as I have so many lord I pray that you will help me in removing the harmful ways in me and lead me in the everlasting way Lord I thank you for Jason, Amy and there family and lord I pray that everything done here is done to please you and I love you thank you that you went to the cross for me I praise you and love you in Jesus name Amen!