Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Need for...Sleep

Well, thank you for all you who are praying for me.  I must say that I actually did sleep much better last night, that is, regarding thinking about stuff and being discouraged.  However, my sleep was interrupted by little kids moving about, making themselves at home in our bed.  

I guess it was around 2:00 am that I was awakened by Jake's cry upstairs.  He can just about climb out of his crib, so we, not wanting to take any chances, have moved him into a small toddler bed.  The big problem is that he doesn't want to stay in it all night!  So, he ends up in bed with us.  Last night, Emily (at some point) came to our bed as well.  I woke up around 5:00 with about five inches of sleeping space.  I got up to move to the couch, but by that time, Ashlyn was up and ready to climb into bed with me.  So we both went up to her room, where I soundly slept until the alarm clock I'd carried with me sounded off at 6:30.  

All of that left me thinking this morning about the need to find a solution for our traveling sleepers that roam from room to room in the middle of the night.  I've laid out blankets in our floor before, telling the girls that if they wake and MUST get up, they have to lay on the floor.  But they are so sneaky that they crawl into my bed without me being awake enough to notice or really even care at that stage of my sleep.  Oh well.  I guess it's not that bad of a problem.

As much as I'd like to have my own half of the bed for the whole night, I guess sharing it with my wee ones isn't all bad.  They are pretty snuggly after all.  Plus it's not EVERY night that I am booted out onto the couch.    

Perhaps the solution is king-sized bed, huh?  

8 comments :

Lacey said...

You DEFINITELY need a king-sized bed. But even at that, ours gets pretty crowded some mornings. It actually drives me crazy - because I honestly don't even hear Mosely when she joins us - which makes me a little concerned about what else might be going on in the night that I never hear.

Anonymous said...

i'll pass along this piece of wisdom that terry bullock gave to me. i know, i know what kind of wisdom comes out of terry bullock's mouth, right? :) anyway, he said one day he was complaining about sara mae kicking him all night while they were sleeping. a man at work told him to stop complaining because one night it will be the last night that she sleeps in bed with them. for some reason that stuck with me. we are constantly playing musical beds in our house. but i have been feeling real convicted that i have gone to the extreme of wanting to teach my kids so much responsibility that i'm not allowing them to be kids long enough. i remember all i ever wanted growing up was to not sleep alone. i eventually got over it (in college:) i know we have to set limits, though. anyway, i write this with a smile on my face only because we have this same exact battle EVERY night. i sympathize. and when you have a great solution, make me the first person you call. love ya!

Anonymous said...

YOU KNOW, I'M SO GLAD TO READ THESE COMMENTS FROM YOU GREAT MOTHERS REGARDING THIS SUBJECT. THE BIGGGGGG@! THING WHEN MY BABY BOY WAS GROWING UP, WAS TO NEVER EVER EVER LET YOUR CHILD SLEEP IN THE SAME BED AS HIS PARENTS. FORBID FORBID FORBID!!!!!! I AGREE WITH BRIDGETT THAT WE TRY TO MAKE OUR KIDS GROW UP TOO FAST AND WHEN THEY DO, WE MISS THAT TIME WITH THEM SOOOOOOO MUCH. LOVE YOU MOTHERS!!!!

Anonymous said...

OH BY THE WAY THIS LAST COMMENT WAS FROM ME. KATHY E

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy! I remember one of the last things that my grandma Mary (your grandma's sister) told me, was to not listen to everybody harassing me about my daughter always sleeping in bed with me. She said to listen to my daughter on that issue. My grandma told me that if my daughter feels safe in bed with me and daddy, then let her feel safe. Anna no longer crawls into bed with me because she is perfectly comfortable now to stay alone in her own bed and room. But Katya crawls into bed with me still...because she's "missing me"... and if it helps her to feel safe and relaxed for right now to be snuggled in mommy or daddy's arms, why not? I am happy she seeks us out when she is lonely or scared in the night - although I always feel like I am on the verge of dropping out of the bed, off my 5 inches too! :-) They are only small and cuddly for such a short time so I suggest to keep welcoming them on in for a big sleepover in mom and dad's room while you can enjoy it. Because 10-15 years from now, we as parents will be going to sleep at night and wondering if our kids are happy and safe where ever they are, but for now we know they are snuggled right beside us (or on top of us, or kicking us...) :-) Lots of love, Lori (Lay) Kurochkina.

Anonymous said...

As I was reading this post, a book that I bought for both my boys came to mind. It's called LET ME HOLD YOU LONGER. It is a book about if I (the mom) had known it was the last time you (the child) would reach your arms up to me for me to hold you, crawl into my bed, want a hug and kiss before leaving, etc., I would have held you longer. Although it can drive you crazy at times, there is a time coming when the house will be quiet all night!! There are a lot of last times ahead. Who knows when tonight might be that last time!!!!! You are a great mom and your children are blessed to have you. Hold 'em close while you can. Love ya, Aunt Wina

Anonymous said...

I think I'm just gonna cry after all this!!

Jennie said...

Everyone is right, Amy. Someday you will find yourself wishing you had a little one in the bed with you, so enjoy it while it lasts! We had to kick Chase out of the bed when I was VERY pregnant with Katelyn because the standard 8 inches of mattress was not very comfortable at that point. He went to the floor in our room at that point (he was almost 8) and he eventually graduated to his bed but it seemed like a long time before he went to his room. Now Katelyn loves to get in bed and "get warm" with Daddy so I'm back to sleeping with a hand on the nightstand and my knees hanging off the edge of the bed - not the mention the broken back the next morning! I just keep saying "she's only little once"..... Jennie