Tuesday, January 6, 2009

In the Midst of Discouragement...


Do you ever just feel defeated?  I do.  In fact, I've been losing sleep over something lately; just really having trouble discerning what's going on.  Maybe it's because over Christmas break, I sort of got out of my daily routine, which includes a daily time of meditation and prayer.  I don't have trouble going to sleep, but I wake up in the middle of the night and think, think, think myself into a state of discouragement.

Our Sunday School teacher, this past Sunday, talked about Matthew 6:34, "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself.  Each day has enough trouble of its own."  That is a scripture that has had great meaning for me, because as a child I was a perpetual worrier.  As I have grown older and more spiritually mature, I have learned more about trusting God and have been able to (with God's help) put aside worrisome thoughts.  However, there are times, like now, that I wrestle with certain issues, and it really seems to get me down.

Sometimes it's not just worries about "tomorrow", but also dealing with "yesterday" that nags me and seems to take a bite out of my joy.  Of course, that's a no win situation too, isn't it?  It's actually silly, since the past cannot be changed!  I know that God is working, even when I struggle with knowing what He is up too.  I know that His promises are greater than any circumstance.  I also know that, as a human being, I am vulnerable to being hit hard with discouragement and doubt from the enemy, and sometimes I have a hard time distinguishing the truth from the lies.  

I guess I'm asking you to pray for me during this time, for God knows every detail.  Pray for me as a teacher, mother and follower of God, that I will be sensitive to God's direction.  Just being up this morning reading His Word has already reminded me of His goodness and love.  I've always said that it's about saturating yourself in the Word, and during times like these, it's evident that in order to have true peace, abiding in Christ is a must.  

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

"Happymom",

I will pray for you as i try to do each day, but know, you are not alone in this "journey" you are facing. We all go through it, are in it, or have been there. For me, I have learned to let go, truly. I have choosen to not let satan have my moments, any of them, to take every thought captive in Him. Has this new found knowledge been easy to obtain, not even - it has taken me many years and even still each day a piece of the chain link breaks away and the true freedom i feel is beyond measure. Do I worry, of course, but then i redirect my thoughts as fast and as best as I can and truly try to rely on Him and if He doesn't answer right away, i try to redirect my thoughts to something else for the time being because if not, then satan slips right in and then there ya go... I guess I am commenting to offer some encouragement and a friend and keep in mind some of this we go through is just going to happen because we are human, how we handle it or respond to it will be the difference. Hang in there "AJ", the roads can often be bumpy, foggy, and often there is no thunder to warn of the storm ahead, but like the song says, "I know who holds tomorrow in His hands" - "greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world"...love ya becca

Anonymous said...

AMY, I WILL PRAY FOR YOU AT THIS TIME AND I KNOW YOU AND YOUR STRONG FAITH WILL OVERCOME THIS VALLEY MOMENT. I'VE BEEN THERE AND SOMETIMES I STILL AM THERE. SATAN NEVER LEAVES US ALONE, BUT PRAISE GOD, HE WILL NEVER DEFEAT US. LOVE YOU!!!! KATHY E

Anonymous said...

Prayers babe. love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

Meant to say, Prayers for you. I'm sure you understood that.nol

Anonymous said...

praying for you

Anonymous said...

I wonder where you got such a condition? Many nights (I as your Dad) have laid awake and wrestled with some thing or thought or situation that I was trying to decide where and if I could help or change. And I still do this. An old saying that helps me is this:"YOU CAN'T DO TOMORROWS JOBS WITH TODAYS ENERGY" We sometimes feel so weak, helpless, and undecided about the future today. But remember that tomorrow we will have aa different energy and God will give strenght for the day. Just like the Israelites,they recieved daily food for strength one day at a time only, but they did recieve it. What did they do? they cried, complained, and blamed God and Moses. They did not want to take any responsibility at all. It was an eleven day trip to where they were going and it took them forty years. Why? Because they were not focused and did things aimlessly and without purpose. When we focus it takes some thought. Amy you have a great purpose and sense of direction, so if you miss a little sleep it don't show. I think you are still one of the greatest people I know. I LOVE YOU- DAD