Saturday, August 30, 2008

Our Day at the Falls






Today we went to Cumberland Falls, on what I think was maybe the hottest day of the year.  Or at least that's the what I was thinking around noon when we were standing out on the rocks.  But, hey, I'm always game for a trip to the Falls, and we really had a great time.

Jason's dad is visiting this weekend and he had never been to the park, so we were really excited about taking him down to see it.  One of my favorite things to do at the Falls is hike to Eagle Falls.  It is not a terribly long hike, but I would label it moderate terrain, because there are so many roots, rocks and hills.  I had a baby carrier strapped on my back the whole hike, but Jake never once made use of it.  He wanted to walk the whole time, and we let him, except for a couple of times when Jason carried him on his shoulders.  He didn't want much to do with me, as is usually the case when Jason is around.  He is such a daddy's boy!!!  I'm okay with that, though.  He did, however, fall and put a pop knot on his forehead.  The last time we visited the falls he was stung by a yellow jacket in the exact same spot.  He's okay though--he's a tough little booger!  

Ashlyn mostly ran ahead of us the whole time, climbing into caves and up on top of any rock she felt comfortable with.  Emily nearly talked my leg off as we were ascending the most steep part of the hike.  Oh, I love family times like this!!!  We love to look around and observe creation, and for me, I love to observe my kids in this awesome element.  Their personalities just come out so much!  Today, Jake was Mr. Independent, wanting to walk by himself the whole time (he really objected when we made him hold our hands), Ashlyn was the big explorer and Emily stayed close by my side, dreaming up stories and telling me every detail.  I loved seeing their excitement as we observed a very long trail of ants, a hornets nest, a millipede, a baby snake, a blue-tailed lizard, and a "wild" puppy on the side of the road!  They were so disappointed when I confessed that I had forgotten to bring the magnifying glass so they could examine the flowers and ants up close!

I have hiked this particular trail as a teenager, as a college student, as a newlywed, and as a mom.  I have to say that I am enjoying it now more than ever!  I get so excited when I think about the different adventures we will take together as a family, and I really thank God for days like today.

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

.....reading things like this makes me wish, in a way, that I could have those times all over again. Nothing in the world like good quality family time. Take every opportunity you can to build memories amd relationships with your children. I love it!

Anonymous said...

anonymous is me, your mother. Sorry

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom! Don't ever take those days for granted. They are so special and before you know it, they are gone! Sam and I were just talking this afternoon about how we used to always go on a picnic on Labor Day when he and Zack were young. I miss those carefree days. I can just picture your family just the way you said. I can even hear the "Little Princess" chatting along the way. Keep building those memories! They are priceless. Lots of love, Aunt Wina

Kayla Marie said...

Andrew and I went to the Falls last year for my birthday and had a great time! It is so beautiful there! He is planning on taking me back next month to celebrate my birthday again! We had such a great time there too! I have just discovered your blog and am enjoying seeing all the pics of the kids. You have a precious family inside and out!