Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Continual Praise


The other day I was reminded of something I had read in a book called On the Highroad of Surrender by Frances J. Roberts.  It has encouraged me so much today that I just have to share it.  

There is a section of the book about continual praise within the heart, regardless of circumstances.  Check out this quote:  "Anger, resentment, petulance, bitterness-none of which can live in an atmosphere of praise-will thrive if the eyes of the soul are diverted to the natural situation and are not fixed on Christ."  It goes on to say, "Relinquishment of burdens and fears begins where adoration and worship of God becomes the occupation of the soul."

Lately I've been battling so many negative thoughts, doubts, fears and attitudes.  God is so patient with me.  I'm so amazed not only that He tolerates me, but that He also loves me without condition.  Today He gently reminded me of how important it is for me to distinguish truth from lies, and I was encouraged in my spirit to offer praise to God every time a negative thought tried to enter my mind.  This ranged from quoting scripture to sitting at the piano to sing "How Great Thou Art" to singing the "ha, ha, ha" verse of "The Joy of the Lord is my Strength" (I am not exaggerating)!  

I have to say, I am completely amazed at the difference this practice has made for me today.  Instead of feeling worried and bogged down, I feel more uplifted and encouraged.  Yes, negative thoughts still try to fill my mind, but I am just learning to quench them with remembering what an awesome, mighty, huge God I serve.  When my mind is filled with praise for Him, there is no room for anything else!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm going to begin practicing this as much as I can. THis reminded me of the verse in Ps. 26:3, "YOU will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on YOU because he trusts in YOU."

Why wouldn't anyone want "perfect peace"? I so want my mind to focus on the things of God!!!!

Anonymous said...

I SO WANT THAT PEACE IN MY HEART!!! I'M GOING TO TRY IT! I'LL BE PRAISING GOD ALL DAY LONG, WHICH IS WHAT I SHOULD BE DOING ANYWAY.HA!!! NEGATIVE THOUGHTS COME SO EASILY DON'T THEY???THANK YOU AMY FOR THIS REMINDER.
LOVE YOU,KATHY

Anonymous said...

My husband and i was just talking about this last night. Amen!!! I struggle to "bring every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" 2Cor.10:5 as well. Negative thoughts have seem to torment me constantly all my life. Just now am i beginning to recognize the stinking enemy and his crafty lies. Ugh!!! I just want to knock him out!!!:) I am in the process of finding scripture to quote anytime the enemy sends a lie throughout my day. I can't wait to have total victory although at times that seems impossible but i am reminded that "ALL things are possible with God":) Ever since reading your blogs it has stirred up my love for the word of God. Thanks for being so open and sharing your heart/walk with the Lord. I honestly can relate to so much that you say!!!God has victory for you and i pray that we both ENJOY the journey.:)