Thursday, August 7, 2008

He's In Control


Yesterday, I was pushing Ashlyn in the swing, and Jake was running around playing. We were both out of her sight, as I was pushing her from behind.  Worried that he would run into the path of the swing, she kept saying (over and over), "Mom, watch Jake!  Mom, please watch Jake!"  Okay.  I acknowledge that it was sweet of her to look out for her brother. However, in my mind I was thinking about how I really didn't need her to tell me to watch him when she wasn't even looking in our direction.  What I wanted was for her to just enjoy swinging and stop worrying about something that was out of her control at that time.  After all, doesn't she realize that when she was that young, I protected her without her help?   Then it occurred to me how many times we do the same thing to God.   

Remember in Job 38 when God was revealing His omnipotence to Job?  Verse 4 says, "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?" 

Sometimes we think that God needs us to tell Him what to do or how to do things.  We worry that He is not doing His job well enough.  We don't say it in those words, but if we were honest, I think we'd realize that it really is that way.  Just as I wanted Ashlyn to enjoy herself instead of worrying about something that I was fully capable of doing, there are many times when we skip out on the enjoyment of God's blessings because we are worried that He is not taking care of things the way we'd like.  We want to be in control. So, because I love her, I graciously assured Ashlyn that I would not let Jake get hit by the swing.  Likewise, because He loves me, God repeatedly assures me of His faithfulness. He wants us to rest in His peace.  Philippians 4:6-7: "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hears and your minds in Christ Jesus."

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing...it was really a message for me today. This week has been hard letting Ryne go to high school, get knocked around in football and tonite off to football camp for the weekend. I'm so glad that God is in control of all those situations, although I've tried all week to make sure Ryne is okay. I have to realize as he grows up that I must fully rely upon the Lord to take care of him. It's a hard thing for a mama to do.

Anonymous said...

All week long, God has been laying on my heart he hymn "He leadeth me." i'm so thankful that He is leading us now, aren't you?