Monday, August 25, 2008

The Second Time Around


I always knew I needed to go back to second grade.  

One of reasons I love homeschooling is because it's kind of like going back to school and learning about things that I didn't quite get the first time around.  Today we continued our study of butterflies, and as we talked about the four life cycles of these fascinating creatures, I wasn't expecting to learn anything new.  I mean, I know about the chrysalis and about metamorphosis.  I know about the life cycles.  And I have heard a lot of really great spiritual applications that can be drawn from the amazing transformation.  But I must say, there was one part of metamorphosis that I was unaware of, and it reminded me of how brilliant our God really is!!!  

Most of you probably already know this, but indulge me, please.  I always thought that a caterpillar, once inside the chrysalis, just kind of shrunk its body size and grew wings.  I DID NOT KNOW that the caterpillar actually becomes almost completely liquified, and then totally reforms!  Some of you may be laughing at my revelation (I told you I missed some things the first time around).  Regardless, that completely blows my mind.  If the solids of a creature liquify, wouldn't it seem almost dead?  And everything I've read says that no one can explain it.  So then I was really blown away by how that could compare to spiritual transformation.  The caterpillar is no longer anything of what it was.  It is entirely new.  What an absolutely brilliant, marvelous God we serve!  I love school!!  :)

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

THIS MAY OR MAY NOT MAKE YOU FEEL A LITTLE BETTER, BUT I DID NOT KNOW THAT ABOUT THE BUTTERFLY EITHER!!!!
IT'S LIKE GOD KNEW THAT HE WAS GOING TO USE THAT EXAMPLE WHEN HE CREATED THE BUTTERFLY, TO TEACH US THAT WE COMPLETELY CONFORM TO A BRAND NEW CREATURE WHEN WE COME TO KNOW JESUS CHRIST AS OUR PERSONAL SAVIOR!!!! AMEN!!!! THANK YOU AMY
KATHY E

Anonymous said...

It kinda reminds me of that song I wrote...hmmm, that song. Thanks for all your insight. Now could you get busy with the music to that song..LOL!

BibleStoreBrowser said...

How cool! I totally didn't know that either.
Bob Jones hasn't taught metamorphosis in that much detail yet, but I won't be a second-time second grader for another year here! :-) What curriculum was that in?
Blessings!
Laschele