Thursday, December 4, 2008

Relationship


Before I get into what I really want to write about today, I want to tell this story on Ashlyn.  Two days ago, she, Emily and I were working on a "project" as they like to call it--actually, a little craft that pertained to the Christmas story.  As I was helping Emily constructed her two-dimensional popsicle stick stable, I was leading them in a discussion about what it might have really been like on the night that Jesus was born.  Finally, after we had each shared a little, I posed the main question, "We see lots of pictures of what others think it may have been like that night, but I wonder what it was really like?"  Without even looking up, Ashlyn flatly replied, "I don't know Mom, why don't you just ask God about it when you die."  I was so taken aback by her response that I think I laughed out loud.  I guess she'd had enough of that discussion!!

I'm glad, however, that Ashlyn has the mindset that one day we will have our questions answered.  I have such a desire to teach my kids about God's love for them, and lately I've been thinking about how I present the things of God to them.  I'm finally realizing that those "things" should never be separate from anything else.  Do you see what I'm getting at?  God should not be my top priority in teaching my kids OR in my life.  He should be THE ONLY priority.  Everything else that is said and done should revolve around Him and what brings Him glory--nothing should be separate from my relationship with Him.  

For example, have you ever thought of having morning "devotion" with God and then when it's "over", you feel like you then can continue on with the rest of your day?  It's like the top priority has been accomplished.  I have been guilty of that so many times! The truth is that my time with God should never end!  He is omnipresent and is always with me, so why should I limit my relationship with Him?  I believe that is what it means to "pray without ceasing" (1 Thessalonians 5:18).  The scriptures surrounding that verse tell us to "Rejoice always" and "in everything give thanks".  It doesn't mean that we have to physically be on our knees all day.  It just means that we can live our daily lives and still let God be a part of every moment.  I believe that He desires that, for He loves us completely, and wants us to love and know Him as well.  

I want to live my life in this way, building upon my relationship with my Father, seeking to please Him in that way.  It has nothing to do with do's and don'ts, just enjoying being a daughter of the King.  Loving.  Giving.  Sharing.  Growing.  Living...the abundant life that Jesus Himself came to give.  

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I LIKE THE WAY YOU PUT THAT!!!! IF WE COULD ALL JUST TO REMEMBER THAT GOD IS MORE THAN WHAT WE GIVE HIM CREDIT. I LOVE HIM AND I'M SO THANKFUL THAT I'M HIS CHILD. LOVE YOU! KATHY E

Anonymous said...

Well said my wise daughter. I am so thankful that my grandchildren have a mother who loves Jesus the way you do and is instilling His love in them. It is truly the gift that keeps on giving. I love you.

Anonymous said...

ditto on your mom's "well said" It is so important for God to be in us work thru us every second of each day. I have failed to live this way all the time but I am still seeking to be all He would have me be. God bless you in your journey with Him as you teach your little ones. Martha dean