Monday, December 8, 2008

Celebration!


I love this time of year!  I love the festivities, the celebrations and even the busy-ness and flurry of activity that comes with it.  I couldn't go at this speed all year long, but for only one month, I find it exhilarating and fun!  Don't get me wrong, I don't ever want to forget the REASON for the celebrations, and I am saddened by the fact that many don't even know why they are "celebrating".  But, as I honor and remember the birth of my Savior, I find it a blessing to be able to be with friends and family, as well as participate in traditions such as exchanging gifts, decorating, baking and even Christmas movies and music.  

In a way I feel like I've kind of come almost full circle on this particular matter.  Growing up, Mom and Dad made a very special effort to keep the holidays Christ-centered for us.  Yes, we probably had too many gifts some years, but I always remember our Christmas Eve tradition:  candles lit, Dad reading the Christmas story, each of us taking our turn to tell what the Lord had done for us or what we were most thankful for that year.  Those were special times...times that I will forever cherish in my heart.  In fact, when I think of Christmas traditions, Christmas Eve always stands out as the warmest memory for me.  Having said that, as I grew older, I started pondering the whys of many things.  I questioned so many things about my faith, traditions, family and life in general.  It was just part of my growth as a person and as a believer.  Regarding Christmas, I eventually got to the point where I wondered if we should even give gifts.  Did it take too much away from the real meaning?  Was it really necessary?  So, even though I never stopped participating in gift exchanges, etc., I always kind of felt guilty about it--I couldn't enjoy it.  

I've come a long way from that.

As I've said before, I just thank God so much for His patience and tireless effort with teaching me new and wonderful truths.  I used gift exchanging as an example, but the truth is, I feel like I have (in my mind) sort of melted down every tradition and thought towards Christmas, and what has emerged is a new sense of wonder and appreciation for this time of year.  No longer do I feel guilty (this kind of guilt is not from God anyway) about participating in family traditions, but I am humbled and thank God for the blessing of family with whom to share.  I sincerely do, in the midst of all the commotion, know that Christ is the reason, and Jason and I will not neglect to teach it to our kids.  

As far as coming full circle, I have come back around to simply enjoying the Christmas season.  It's not different this year because I have less things on my schedule--I don't. It's not because I have less people to buy for--definitely not that.  I guess I'm just finding the joy in the celebration.  It's all for Christ!  When our traditions are based upon His blessing and Gift to us, then those traditions can be embraced and held dear.  It's all about making Christ the ONLY priority as we celebrate His life; then, as He walked among man, now, as He is preparing a place for us, and to come, as He will reign as King!  I hope that you can find joy in the celebration!

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

(Guilt is not from God anyway)???

John 16:8: "When he (the Holy Spirit) comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment."

"Biblical shame is an appropriate, healthy response when we acknowledge that we are different and less than God made us and that we are separated from Him by our sin," writes Dr. Sandra Wilson in Released from Shame. "Although we bear the image of God, sin radically altered our fundamental natures. Sin separates us from ourselves as originally created. Sin separates us from our original Creator."

"We may also experience a healthy, truthful form of spiritual shame or guilt when we feel convicted of doing something wrong. The Holy Spirit often speaks by tugging at our hearts with feelings of guilt."

"The Holy Spirit desires to convict us of sinful thoughts and actions so that we will pursue being changed and restored into close relationship to God through confession and repentance."

"The reason the message of secular psychology (and the Christians who imitate it) is so superficial is that its assessment of guilt is so superficial. If you think that the guilt which prepares us to receive the gospel is merely the bad feeling that comes from a low self-image or sagging self-esteem, then the gospel you preach will be just the kind of man-centered, ego-stroking pap that has emasculated the pulpits of our land and obscured the glory of God’s mercy.

The guilt which readies a person to receive the great gospel of the glory of Christ is as rare as the conversions we seek. Hardly anyone experiences the crush of real guilt! We have failed to see that what usually passes for guilt is in fact just more sin, because it is the bad feeling we have, not from our failure to trust God’s promises but from our failure to preserve our image as cool, self-sufficient people. Most of what passes for guilt feelings is an expression of pride. We do something impulsive that hurts someone and feel remorse. But does our remorse come from a deep spiritual grief that we have despised God by not trusting his promises and not waiting for his wisdom and help? Or does it more often come from the fact that we did not preserve our image as cool and self-sufficient? Real guilt is very rare!

Real guilt is the crushing sense of fear and remorse at the thought of having despised almighty God by casting a vote of no-confidence against his word of promise and counsel. Real guilt is radically God-centered. Satan’s substitute is the bad feelings we get from a wounded ego. O yes, it is painful.

But it is based squarely on pride. The guilt feelings caused by Satan’s accusations are not remorse for pride, but the remorse of pride. Yes, there is a nation-wide epidemic of this. But this kind of guilt produces no repentance (2 Corinthians 7:10). It does not prepare the way for the gospel; it hardens against the gospel.

Real guilt is very rare. That’s why my father can say: The really hard work of evangelism is not getting people saved but getting them lost."

Guilt over sin is necessary or else Christmas is not necessary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, thanks for sharing again your humbleness in your relationship with God and the things you have learned. That is so good that you have that discernment over "guilt". That is something that i am overcoming myself, not necessarily about Christmas but other things. Keep on LOVING others and being a BLESSING that you are this CHRISTmas season.:)

Anonymous said...

Amy - I was thinking about where Anonymous might have been coming from in their post. I agree with them in that the church today (in most cases, there are still some very biblical teachers out there) is getting very watered down. However, my interpretation of what your specifically speaking of was "time with family and family traditions" making you feel guilty(I want to speak to that). And, I suppose that if you allowed this to get in the way of your worship with the Lord, then it would be sinful and guilt would be appropriate. However, I am someone that absolutely cherishes time with family and friends. I cherish relationships in general and that is something I never feel guilty about. In fact, I pray continually that I would have more courage to build relationships with non-believers so that God might use me to lead them to Christ (still not very good at that though). I guess what I'm saying is that you should never feel guilty about your time or family traditions while with family (as long as it isn't becoming something you worship!). I've seen cases where hearts have been very hardened by family members who judge others "traditions" very harshly...to the point where that relationship is basically destroyed. This is very sad because in many cases the judgemental individual would otherwise have a great deal of influence and rather than be patient and wait for a opportunity from Christ to show his mercy and grace through love, they step right up to the plate and swing for the fences of God's wrath and attempt to dole it out for Him! I know I'm probably the one sounding judgemental now, but it does break my heart to see relationships destroyed and I tend to speak passionately about that. I do not believe that destroyed relationships does anything to build up the Kingdom of Christ. Keep up the thought provoking posts, they're great!

Mack

Anonymous said...

Amy, as usual I enjoyed your heartfelt expressions about CHRISTmas. If satan can make you feel guilt he will to keep you from being what God wants you to be. The greatest gift was given in Christ Jesus our Lord and we give gifts to our loved ones in remembrance of Him. Jesus gave His all and we give to Him and to our wonderful families and spiritul brothers and sisters. What a joyous time this Season when we have Christ. Keep on writing. Love in Christ, Martha D.