Sunday, September 6, 2009

Welcome All People

Apparently my kids are really big into making our guests feel welcome.

Last night, we had some friends over for dinner.  Before noon, Ashlyn had written (on the driveway with sidewalk chalk) a big welcome sign, directions to NOT go in through the garage, and arrows (on the sidewalk) leading to the front door.  Once they made it to the front door, our guests were greeted with the following notes:

In case you can't see it well, the bottom sign says, "And you kids to".  We actually all thought that was pretty funny.  Okay, it was funny enough to me (I am her mother after all) that when it crossed my mind during church this morning (yes, it did) I almost laughed out loud!  

But I love her hospitable mind!  In fact, my desire is that our home would always be a place that is warm and welcoming to those that our sent our way.  The Bible even speaks of this, when it says in Romans 12:13 to "practice hospitality".  

Serving others.  

Helping to meet the needs of fellow brothers and sisters in Christ.  

Welcoming "all people", as Ashlyn put it, to partake in the blessings that God has given us.  Of course, that is not to say that we should let anybody and everybody into our home at all times necessarily.  But I believe that the Holy Spirit will guide us in the decisions we make concerning our interactions with friends and strangers, so we must be sensitive to that.

Most of all, beyond wanting my home to be warm and inviting, I want my heart to be warm and inviting to those around me who are in need or who can experience the love of Christ through me and through our family.  It's basically just following Jesus' command to love others as we love ourselves.  Please know that this is my desire...something that I pray for...because I am not completely there.  It's easy to be almost totally wrapped up in my own needs that I am not always sensitive to the needs of others.

But that's my prayer; for my life to say "Welcome all people", so that they too can experience the power and joy of my God.

2 comments :

Merlin Winchestr said...

Haha that's sweet Amy!!! MY little sister and brother did the same thing when they were younger, but they used window markers and wrote on the windows!!! :) Great blog!! Can't wait for more!!!!!

Allison Horseman said...

I love your blog Amy. It's like a mini devo for me, mixed with a little humor of course! Thanks for sharing.