Sunday, September 27, 2009

Twelve Years and Counting!!


Twelve years ago on this day I made a promise that would change my life.

I promised to stay committed. I promised to love. I promised to forgive.

Twelve years ago on this day I married Jason!

You know, in some ways it seems like just yesterday, but it's so natural, and so much has happened in our lives, that sometimes it seems like a long time. I am SO thankful to have a husband who not only loves me, but also loves God and loves our children. Jason is such a great dad; I love watching him with the kids, and obviously they adore him.

I think marriage is one of many ways that God chooses to form our character. I know that Jason and I both have grown so much, in so many ways. When you're married, you learn about selflessness. You learn about forgiveness. You learn about respect. It teaches you to be vulnerable.

Of course, anybody can choose to NOT learn about any of these things. I mean, technically, a person can be married yet choose to live the way they want. But God calls us to something greater--and the rewards He promises are unimaginable!

I would be the first person to tell you that it's hard (well, Jason might beat me to it), and that our marriage isn't perfect. But, we both know that God blesses when we obey Him by keeping our commitment to each other. We trust that He will keep HIS promise to reward obedience.

I could go on and on about this, because I know that the enemy has a great desire to destroy one of the greatest institutions that God created: marriage/family. It helps us to remember that truth when we feel like giving up. It helps when we remember that it actually isn't the two of us against each other, but in fact, it's two of us plus One against a very vicious enemy. When we remember that truth, then we are better able to combat the lies in a way that actually produces more strength for our marriage.

I don't have it all figured out. But I know that I am grateful for my marriage, for my husband, and for the patience that God demonstrates to both of us time and time again. The more we depend upon Him, the more love He gives us for each other.

I hope that this Scripture will encourage you as much as it has Jason and me in the journey of marriage:

Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able
to stand firm against the schemes of the devil.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood,
but against the powers,
against the world forces of this darkness,
against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.

Ephesians 6:11-12

I LOVE being married, but I'm so thankful that God doesn't leave us to go at it alone! We acknowledge our need for Him and pray that He will continue to bless!

No comments :