Tuesday, September 23, 2008

To Share or Not to Share...That is My Kids' Question

Before I post this, I want to make sure that you scroll down and see my post from late last night...it's about my new nephew!!!  We are so proud.

As for today, I wanted to write about something that occurred to me yesterday. We were upstairs in the play/school room and the kids were fussing over these battery-operated light-up princess wand-type toys that the girls have.  We bought one for each of the girls as a souvenir once, but lately Jake has been mesmerized by them, and he was crying to play with Ashlyn's.  She kept telling him that she didn't want him to play with it, but she was working in school (not playing with it at the time) and was merely being selfish.  I told her to let Jake play with the toy, but she kept giving me excuses such as "He'll run the batteries out!" or "I'm afraid he's gonna break it!"  I told Ashlyn that we can replace the batteries.  And I didn't say this aloud, but my thought was that if Jake actually did break it, I would not mind replacing it for Ashlyn because she was being generous with it.  Immediately my mind shifted to a spiritual parallel and a Biblical promise that we so often ignore.  

The Bible promises us that when we give willingly and without selfishness, God will take care of us.  Just as I was displeased with Ashlyn's selfishness today, I believe that God is displeased when we are selfish with the gifts that HE has given us.  And just like I would not mind to fix or replace a broken toy when the damage was done as a result of generosity, God promises that He will take care of us when we choose to be generous and share, whether it is money, time or talents.  I'm not saying that rewards should necessarily be our primary motive, because ultimately generosity should come from a heart of obedience to God.  But obedience to God always brings fulfillment, peace and rewards from God.   

Luke 6:38
Give, and it will be given to you.
They will pour into your lap a good measure--
pressed down, shaken together and running over.
For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you
in return.





1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Great lesson Amy!!!!!! Just what I've been needing!!! Thanks!!!
-Elizabeth