Thursday, September 11, 2008

One Acorn


First of all, to those of you who hate mice...sorry for the gross photos last time!!  :)

Today I've been thinking about something that was actually talked about by the evangelist at a revival where I'm leading worship this week.  During last night's sermon, he told the story (which was told to him by another) of an acorn.  He shared how within one acorn is the potential for a whole forest.  Thousands of oak trees could potentially grow from that one tiny acorn.  But, he said, the conditions have to be right.  The acorn, before living out any of its potential, must first go into the ground, be covered up, and it must die.  Only when it dies will it have the capacity to produce.  Then a tree will spring up, with hundreds of acorns on it, and the process can continue for years.  

That really spoke to me about how important it is that I completely die to myself if I want God to use me.  It has to be about His work within me, not about what I can do.  Galatians 2:20 says, "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

Just as one acorn could potentially be the beginnings of a whole forest, just think of what God could (and promises) to do when we completely give up the rights to ourselves and live solely for Him instead of our own desires.  The man who told the evangelist this story kept an acorn in his pocket, I suppose as a daily reminder to die to self. Maybe that's not such a bad idea!!

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

I always look forward to reading your blogs! They have been a TREMENDOUS blessing to me in just the short amount of time that i have been reading them. So THANK YOU again for sharing and ministering! I automatically smiled today when i saw the acorns. When the kids and i took our walks last week they collected ALL the acorns that had fallen from the trees onto the road. Needless to say, we have quite a collection in the garage. I just might take one and put it in my pocket for a reminder. I never knew one acorn had the potential for a whole forest!! I just bought a Max Lucado book to read to the kids called The Oak Inside the Acorn. I can't wait to read it.
It is hard dying to self especially when patience is required.lol. I am usually waiting on Him to do something my way when really He is probably trying to break me from my comfort zone. Afterall...He created me like this right?? I don't need to change.:) Anyways...I am glad that we serve an Awesome,Patient,Powerful God who is more than able to help and promises to complete the good work that He started.

Anonymous said...

That's a neat story Amy!!! I think I'll start carrin' an acorn too. Great blog Amy!!!
-Elizabeth Smith

broadstone said...

Amy,

Well, once again, thanks for leading the Worship . . . and being led by the Spirit as you led. God has been exalted.

The acorn story was great. And, it affected me in much the same way as you describe.

I really needed to be reminded again of that illustration.

BTW, Heather reads your blog all the time. It is one of her top favorites. She even said it was better than my own;)