Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Life on the Farm...

I guess I thought I'd seen it all.

That is until today, when Ashlyn came back from the barn toting a five-gallon bucket, which, to my surprise, was actually serving as a temporary home to the two tiny mice she'd "rescued".  

Part of me was happy to see her find, and the other part of me was thinking, You've got to be kidding me.

But then Ashlyn (very excitedly) started begging me for a piece of swiss cheese, because they were "definitely very hungry".  It was a great sight to see the kids-all three of the kids-tearing off pieces of cheese and throwing it in the bucket.  We all laughed as we watched them nearly jump out of the bucket.  I had no idea they could jump so high!  So we watched for a while, for after all, they are kind of cute when you really look at them (unless you are my mom, who goes berserk at the sight of one).  After we had been entertained, Poppy and the kids took the little critters down to the creek and released them.  Ashlyn carefully spread the cheese about, just in case the mice decided they wanted to eat it later.  She suggested that the pair might choose a snake hole for a home.  I didn't think to tell her what a very, very bad decision that would be for them.

I did, however, ask Ashlyn how she caught the mice, to which she informed me, "Poppy caught them with his bare hands!"  

Ah, life on the Farm!!!

                   

6 comments :

The Sparks said...

I bet your mom was going crazy! I can still remember us (not us) putting that dead mouse at the back door for her to find. I thought about that the other day when I was there.

Anonymous said...

Nice story Amy. We had a mouse in our house the other day, just a small one, but when it ran out at my mom she jumped up and down freaking out!! Haha! See you Sunday!
-Elizabeth Smith

Anonymous said...

I DIDNT LIKE YOUR BLOG TODAY. IF YOU THINK YOUR MOM IS BAD, YOU SHOULD SEE ME!!!!! IT'S NOT A PRETTY SIGHT. BY THE WAY, I RECEIVED NO GODLY INSIGHT IN THIS BLOG........
I GUESS YOU KNOW THOSE LITTLE
"CREACHURS" ARE GOING TO BE IN YOUR HOUSE IN A FEW WEEKS!!!HA
LOVE YOU
KATHY E

Lacey said...

Gross - too bad education has to be so "hands-on" - eh?

Anonymous said...

First a baby snake and now mice! I think Ashlyn needs to limit her trips to the barn with Poppy! Not really. She loves it and so does he. They are making wonderful memories together. Mimi and I will just have to be sure what is in the bucket before we look. Love ya! Aunt Wina

P.S. I wonder why your mom has not commented on the blog?! And Kathy, today's blog was all about being a mom, and that in itself is a Godly thing.

Kayla Marie said...

I bet Mimi LOVED this!!!