Monday, September 15, 2008

Blemished Sacrifices?


Lately I have been helping out with the music ministry at another church.  I have really enjoyed that and am grateful for the opportunity that God has provided there.  So yesterday, I was there, went to Sunday School and the worship service, and I came home with lots to ponder.  One of the things that really stirred my heart is what we discussed during Sunday School.  

The teacher (who was really good, by the way) taught from Malachi 1.  The chapter is mainly about the Lord's dealings with priests who were sacrificing blemished sacrifices to Him.  As we discussed this passage, we talked about what it meant for the priests in those days as well as how it applies to the stuff we offer to God now.  I couldn't wait to reread this passage at home so I could chew on it a bit.  

It's amazing to me how easily we fall into the same trap that those priests did.  Sure, I can look at them and think "How dare they offer a blind animal to the Lord!"  But I have just really been convicted of how I really do the same thing when I do not give the Lord my best.  No, we are not required to present slaughtered animals on an alter anymore, but Romans 12:1 urges us to "present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship".  WE are the living sacrifice to God.  So that causes me to examine my motives for the things I DO for God, because if what I DO for God is not from my heart, then I would say that is a blemished sacrifice.  If I am giving of my time to teach a Sunday School class yet it is strictly out of obligation, I would call that a blemished sacrifice.  If I only spend time with God when I have some "free" time during the day, I would call that a blemished sacrifice.  If my attitude stinks and I think of my tithe check as just another bill, I would call that a blemished sacrifice.  If I procrastinate and just throw some songs for worship together at the last minute, I might even call that a blemished sacrifice. 

The things we do for God are unacceptable to Him unless they are done with a sincere heart of worship.  I am thinking of another passage in the Bible that relates to this, and I am going to look at that today and write more about it tomorrow.  But today this one thing stands out in my mind:  God is not as concerned with WHAT I do for Him as He is with my attitude towards my giving to Him.  In Malachi 1:10 the Lord says, "Oh that there were one among you who would shut the gates, that you might not uselessly kindle fire on My alter!"  The Lord would rather have no offerings than blemished ones.  And He hasn't changed.  He is more than worthy of our VERY BEST.  Period.  He deserves no less and will accept no less. 

What are your thoughts about this?

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I REALLY HAD NEVER THOUGHT OF MY SHORT COMINGS AS A BLEMISHED SACRIFICE TO THE LORD, BUT YOU'RE EXACTLY RIGHT. GOD REQUIRED UNBLEMISHED SACRIFICES THEN AND HE STILL REQUIRES IT TO THIS DAY. HE IS THE SAME GOD TODAY AS HE WAS BACK THEN. THANK YOU AMY FOR BRINGING THESE TRUTHS OUT OF THE SCRIPTURES INTO MY HEAD!!!!!
LOVE YOU
KATHY E

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to read tomorrow! Love ya bunches! Aunt Wina

Anonymous said...

we talked about this some in SS. i think i often forget that God looks at the heart, not our works. i struggle so much with this. i think i know the right things i ought to be doing, and feel better about myself if i have checked those things off my spiritual to-do list. all the while, my heart is far from Him. to get a glimpse of how God feels, i try to see the similarities between me and my kids. it does not please me when they do the right thing while they complain about it the whole time. or when they clean the dinner table, but are constantly arguing with their siblings. what makes me as a parent happy? for my kids to obey me with a glad, pure heart. to trust my love and provision for them and to desire to obey and please me out of their security in that love. i know our Heavenly Father feels the same way.

Anonymous said...

Great food for thought. This will linger in my head for a good while. Amazing, my daughter, how when you were small I would try to teach you the things of God and now that you are grown you are teaching me NEW and WONDERFUL truths. I love you

Anonymous said...

I guess you can tell that the above is from your mother. ha

Anonymous said...

HI, Amy Thanks for the kind words and the encouraging message posted on this blog, God is using you in a mighty way (what else should we expect from the all mighty except greatness) Not just in music (which is wonderful) but also in your word and deed. It is so encouraging to read that a parent is growing closer to God because of there child, not counting others that you are touching.
Thank you for obeying God

Anyway I want to let you know that I don’t count myself as a teacher, God is the teacher and anyone willing to give from the heart God will bless it in a wonderful way. However I do thank you for your kind words (another blessing from God) I really
Am glad God put our hearts together on this matter of blemished sacrifice. .


Psalm 25:4-12
Shew me thy ways, O Lord; teach me thy paths. [5] Lead me in thy truth, and teach me: for thou art the God of my salvation; on thee do I wait all the day. [6] Remember, O Lord, thy tender mercies and thy lovingkindnesses; for they have been ever of old. [7] Remember not the sins of my youth, nor my transgressions: according to thy mercy remember thou me for thy goodness' sake, O Lord. [8] Good and upright is the Lord: therefore will he teach sinners in the way. [9] The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way. [10] All the paths of the Lord are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies. [11] For thy name's sake, O Lord, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great. [12] What man is he that feareth the Lord? him shall he teach in the way that he shall choose.
Your brother in Christ
Randy