Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Honor

I love Christmas! Even though it is technically over, the season is still in full swing for me. I usually wait until we are a few days into the new year before I start taking down my decorations. We are having a great time with all of the family being together this week. The cousins are having a blast together!

On Christmas Day, get together with both my mom and dad's side of the family. This year, on my mom's side, was the first time we had celebrated Christmas without my Mamaw.

This family has been through quite a bit over the passed two years. My Uncle Clint suffered a stroke in January 2008, and then finished the race in November of the same year. In early 2009, my Mamaw started getting worse as a result of lung cancer and COPD, and finished her race in June. But it's the in between times that have impacted me as well.

In the Bible, when we read about God's command to honor our parents, many times we automatically think first about children being obedient, but it goes way beyond that, doesn't it? My mom, aunts and uncles (pictured above, minus one) have been wonderful examples of what it means to honor their parents. I watched as my mother and her siblings spent countless hours tending to Mamaw. Feeding her, giving her medicine, rubbing her feet, reading to her, loving on her........honoring her. They were with her when she drew her final breath, and they continue to honor her and my Papaw today by the way they communicate, get along and show great love for one another.

I say this because as a mother, one of my prayers is that my children will always have love for one another, even after I'm gone. I have heard of families who divide over inheritance and other such issues after the parents have passed away. To me, continuing to love and respect each other, even after both parents are gone is a wonderful way of showing honor to them.

So, thank you to my mom and dad, and my aunts and uncles for providing this wonderful example of love and honor. I pray this kind of blessing over my family as well, believing that God will honor that.

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMY, WHAT A GOOD BLOG. I REALLY ENJOY IT!!!! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. YOUR MOM'S FAMILY IS SUCH A LOVING FAMILY AND IT DOES LOOK A LITTLE EMPTY WITHOUT YOUR MAMAW, BUT I KNOW SHE'S SMILING IN HEAVEN AND TAKING PICTURES IN HEAVEN WITH JESUS. THAT'S SO COOL. WE SEEM TO REALLY MISS OUR LOVED ONES MORE AROUND THE HOLIDAYS, BUT WE JUST HAVE TO REMEMBER THAT THEY'RE CELEBRATING WITH THE ONE WHO MADE OUR CHRISTMAS. LOVE YOU KATHY E

mom said...

Thank you Amy so much for your sweet words. i am so thankful to have had a mother who taught us about honor. She was an example to us as we watched her take care of her mother when she was sick and in her last days, so it was just a natural thing for us to do. She taught us a lot about honoring God and other people. It was a joy, as painful as it was to watch her go through what she did, to take care of her. And we do miss her tremendously, but know that she is having the time of her life and that we will definitely all be together again one day.

Leisa said...

Thanks Amy for including dad in your blog. He was so special and I miss him everyday. Mamaw was also a special woman who touched everyone who met her - Mamaw and Dad - two of a kind!