Sunday, December 6, 2009

The True Beauty of Kindness

First of all, to those of you who have said a prayer for our family during this week of illness...thank you!! We are gradually getting better, although Emily and Jason are still feeling quite icky. Hopefully we will all be well soon!!

Second of all, I would like to mention that while I still have a great desire to keep up with this blog, I have been struggling with the issue of time. However, I hope that you will keep checking, because I plan to keep writing! And in that same vein, I want to thank so many of you for your comments...I love to hear your thoughts and comments!!
I want to continue on with thoughts on the Fruit of the Spirit. I was thinking about kindness and goodness this morning. Kindness is a beautiful thing, isn't it? But as I was thinking about that, I also wondered if sometimes kindness is not always exactly what it seems.

I'm not trying to be cynical--motive is what I'm talking about. If I'm truly honest with myself, can I really say that all of my acts of kindness to others are solely for their benefit? Are there some things that I do, albeit good things, which are done simply to make me feel better about myself or to make me look good in front of others? When I reach out to those in need, is it always because I truly care for them, or is it sometimes out of obligation?

You may wonder why this matters, since good is being done no matter what. Certainly this is true, and the outward benefit to the recipient usually remains the same. What is different, however, is the inward (and eternal) benefit to us. Consider 1 Corinthians 3:12-15:

Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

God sees beyond our outward deeds, doesn't He? He sees the intentions of our hearts. According to this Scripture, our deeds will be tested by fire, and those which are done for eternal good and for the building up of His kingdom will stand. All else will be burned up. I personally believe that this goes for our motives as well, for even when we do good, God would rather it stem from a heart that desires to please Him, not to uplift ourselves.

The Christmas season always presents many opportunities to exhibit kindness and to share goodness with others. This year, evaluate your motives for what you do regarding kindness. Is it self-serving? Or is it out of a genuine concern for those whom you serve? I want my good deeds to count for something not only on earth, but for eternity as well. God will surely multiply the effects of those deeds which are done for His glory alone!

No comments :