Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Tantrum


Yesterday my precious Emily threw the mother of all tantrums.

There we were at Pat's Garden Center, trying to load a tree and two plants into the van, and the breakdown began.  Let's see-what exactly WAS the reason?  Oh yeah, now I remember.  I was carrying her small page of stickers for her in my pocket, and when she asked for them back, much to her disappointment, they had been folded in half.  Disappointment turned into anger, and anger turned into a humiliating scene right in the middle of the parking lot.  Ever been there?

As I have thought about this, a verse in James 4 came to my mind.  He writes, "What is the source of quarrels and conflicts among you?"  This was written with the church in mind, and according to James, the source of conflict is when we are too focused on our own selfish ambition and worldly pleasures, such as pride (verses 1-3).  How many times do we kind of inwardly throw tantrums because we do not get our way, whether it be within our families or the church?  

Pride and selfishness is innate for children (and all humans), thus Emily's outrageous behavior yesterday.  As her parent, I believe that God has given me the responsibility to teach her about self-control, as well as the sin that comes from living selfishly.  God has done the same with us.  He has warned us in His Word of the trouble that comes from giving in to pride and selfishness.  We can see examples all throughout scripture of the consequences and humiliation that stems from living a life that is pleasing to only ourselves.

I've said this often, but when I look at my children, I am able to better understand God's love for me.  Yesterday Emily was upset because she was only concerned about her own interest, and it was ridiculous to me.  When I disciplined her, I took the opportunity to talk to her about why she shouldn't act out like that no matter what.  I understand that she may not get it right away.  But sometimes neither do I, and I realize that the things that I get worked up about sometimes are simply out of selfishness.  I want to be patient in teaching my children, just as my Father is so patient with me.  
Galatians 5:16
"But I say, walk by the Spirit,
and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh."

3 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMY
SURELY OUR LITTLE SWEET EMILY DIDN'T ACT THAT WAY OUT IN PUBLIC!!!!! HA!
THEY ALL DO IT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER, WE ALL DO IT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER!!! I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THE LOVING GOD THAT I HAVE THAT TEACHES ME DIFFERENTLY AND LOVES ME EVEN THOUGH I THROW THESE TEMPER TANTRUMS AND THANK GOD FOR THE GODLY PARENT THAT EMILY HAS IN YOU TO TEACH HER WHAT IS RIGHT AND WRONG! THANK YOU AMY FOR THIS.
I MISS YOU AT CHURCH. SEE YOU SOON. LOVE YOU
KATHY E

Anonymous said...

I think Amy is telling a big one on Emily, dont' you think Kathy?? ha

I love the part about Emily maybe "not getting it right away and sometimes neither do we" cause sometimes I just really don't get it but realize that trusting is what I have to continue doing. Love you Amy!!

Anonymous said...

I remember those days. Just as your sweet little Emilly threw a fit in public, my sweet little Karen, Connie, Don and Dan did so too (not lately!). Just as our little ones have to be reminded many times, we do as well.

I really enjoy your blog. Like Kathy, I really miss you at PV but do what God is leading you to do.