Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shine Like Stars!

Do all things without grumbling or disputing; so that you will prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life...
Philippians 2:14-16a
First things first.  I need help.
Does anyone have any suggestions of how to stop excessive whining in children?  One of my precious little darlings, who happens to be three, has lately been hung up on whining to get her way.  What I usually do is send her to another room until she is calm, then deal with it.  Sometimes I think I'm on the right track, then it suddenly takes a turn for the worse.  I'm looking for some creative, loving, effective discipline.  Anybody??

Well, I knew I was going to post this request, so I wanted to also post the above passage from Philippians, since, well, aren't we all a bit whiny at times?  The passage relates to me because sometimes my whining comes in the form of complaining and grumbling.  I am REALLY good at pointing this character flaw out in others, but many times I fail to recognize it in myself.  I guess I just don't think it's as bad when I complain and grumble.  But oh, how it must irritate those around me, and especially my Father!  

You know, we can say a big "amen" to the part about living in a "crooked and perverse generation", and it is true.  But can we say that we are appearing as "lights in the world"?  That is my desire!!  I want to stand out in that way, along with every other Christian that I know!  What a difference we could make for Christ if we would truly heed this passage and prove ourselves to be "blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach" in this world.  Take this as a challenge for you and for myself.  And as much as my Emily loves all things sparkling, maybe the "appearing as lights" part will encourage her as well!

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Amy, you do a wonderful job disciplining your children. Children go through all kinds of stages and whining is one of them. You just continue to be consistent and diligent in the way you parent and it will pay off. It gets very hard sometimes but with prayer and patience, one of these days you will look back and be thankful.

Anonymous said...

AMEN JUDY!!!!
I ADMIRE YOU AND THE WAY YOU TRAIN UP YOUR CHILDREN IN THE THEY SHOULD GO!!!!! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK AND YOU WILL BE REWARDED!!!
MY WHININESS(I'M SURE THAT ISN'T A WORD)GETS ON MY OWN NERVES SOMETIMES. WE ALL DO IT,AND I KNOW GOD GETS TIRED OF IT ALSO. I JUST PRAY THAT HE CONTINUES TO GIVE ME STRENGTH TO INDURE THE HARDSHIPS THAT COMES MY WAY! LOVE YOU KATHY E

Anonymous said...

I agree with Judy and Kathy. You are a great mommy! One time I had a child in my class that whinned all the time. I would simply say, "I'm sorry, ___, I can't talk to you right now because you're whinning. When you get ready to talk to me without whinning, I'll talk to you" and I would walk away. In just a minute, actually seconds, she would come to me and tell me what she wanted or what the was. After awhile, the whinning stopped. I can't imagine my little "Princess" whinning! Are you sure you're not telling a story on her?!! Love ya! Aunt Wina

Anonymous said...

or what the problem was. oops!