Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Pray Pray Pray!

I have debated on whether or not blog about the upcoming election, but I finally decided that if I do not get some of these thoughts out in writing, I might burst.

Today Ashlyn asked me, "Does Obama know Jesus?"  I wasn't really surprised at her question, considering that the election is talked about freely in our home.  Both of the girls recognize each candidate, and one of their bedtime prayer requests is "Please help John McCain to catch up and please let Obama lose."  Ashlyn knows that McCain is behind in the polls, but for all I know, as my mom pointed out, she could be imagining the two candidates racing up actual poles (you know how literal a child's mind is!!)  

Ashlyn and Emily have both asked me why we want John McCain to win over Obama, and my answer to them is that McCain stands for things that we believe in more so than Obama, which has led me to have to gently introduce topics such as abortion.  That alone has prompted them to be on the McCain side I believe.  And to be honest, even if I agreed with Obama on everything else (which I DO NOT), I could not vote for him because of his views on "choice".

Have you heard of the Freedom of Choice Act?  It is one of the first things that Obama himself has declared he will sign if he is elected--and there is nothing "free" about it.  In fact, it allows babies to be murdered without any kind of consequence or restriction, according to the law.  At the very least, Christians should be outraged by this!  This is what Obama said earlier this year while talking about sex education and abortion, 

"I've got two daughters, 9 years old and 6 years old.  I am going to teach them first of all about values and morals.  But if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby."

I cannot tell you what that does to me to hear or read that kind of "rhetoric".  It exposes one as a glorified murderer, and to me it is no different than barbarians who engaged in infant sacrifice.  It saddens me deeply that so many are deceived by smooth talk and empty promises.  I know that McCain isn't perfect, but I certainly believe that he will do a much better job of upholding what moral standards remain in this country.

I also understand that some people are not interested in politics, and may be apathetic to the circumstances, thinking that what's going to happen is going to happen.  While I agree that it's true to some extent, I cannot just idly sit by and watch as our nation falls apart.  Of course I absolutely believe that God is in control and has a plan for His creation, yet at the same time I feel a responsibility and a privilege to pray for His blessing and mercy, as well as do all that I can as a citizen of my temporary home to preserve the freedoms with which we have been blessed.

In answer to Ashlyn's question today, I told her that only Jesus knows, but that we should pray for both candidates.  That is my challenge to you as well.  Don't neglect the privilege that we have to pray for God to be glorified and for lives to be eternally saved, and don't neglect a tremendous opportunity to stand up for what is right.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

that'll preach, amy:)

Anonymous said...

AMEN!! AMEN!! AMEN!! I am so amazed by you my daughter and your sweet children and my grandchildren puts so many smiles on my face. Their little innocence is so precious.

You said it so well and I agree 100 percent with you.

Anonymous said...

well said and Amen!

Anonymous said...

YOU GO GIRL!!!!!
YOU PUT IT SO WELL AND I AGREE WITH WHOLEHEARTEDLY!!!!!!
I MISS YOU!
LOVE YOU
KATHY E

Anonymous said...

I, too, give my AMEN! "If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." 2Chron. 7:14. This verse has never been more real to me than at the present time. We MUST pray; we MUST seek; we MUST turn. Thanks, Amy, for your words of wisdom. I love you! Aunt Wina