Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Word War


I don't consider myself to be the most outspoken person in the world, but there are, undeniably, words that slip from my lips that should have never even been formed in my heart to begin with.

Words of hurt. Words of anger. Words of sarcasm. Words that bring no goodness whatsoever to anyone.

It breaks my heart to think that many of the times when those words are actually spoken, they are aimed at my children or my husband--the people I love more than anyone in the world.

Why is that?

I don't think it's as important to know the answer to that as it is to actually realize how damaging my words can be. I mean, it doesn't happen all the time. Many times I don't actually say what I'm thinking (especially when I'm angry). But also many times I do. Sometimes I am more harsh with my kids than I realize (like if there was a hidden camera I would be so embarrassed). Sometimes I spew words of hurt towards my husband when I think he deserves it. Since when did I become judge?

The past couple of days I read, as I do sometimes, the chapters of Proverbs which correspond with the date. Yesterday I read chapter fifteen and today, sixteen. These words pierced my heart:

Proverbs 15:1 - A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:28 - The heart of the righteous ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things.

My words can make a difference, and a soft, well-thought-out answer can turn the tide in the midst of conflict.

Proverbs 15:2 - The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable, but the mouth of fools spouts folly.
Proverbs 16:21 - The wise in heart will be called understanding, and sweetness of speech increases persuasiveness.
Proverbs 16:23 - The heart of the wise instructs his mouth and adds persuasiveness to his lips.

Listening is good. We are wise when we instruct our mouths.

Finally, here was our family's memory verse for last week:
Proverbs 16:24 - Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.

Not only do pleasant words foster an atmosphere of understanding and forgiveness, but they also yield the fruit of love, self-control and kindness. Our words can bring healing to others, and when we have the kind of heart and attitude that brings about pleasant words, healing comes to us as well.

These are many thoughts to ponder, and just a few of many Bible verses pertaining to our speech. I will ponder them, and pray that I can make my words count for goodness and edification, especially to the ones I love the most.

2 comments :

Dizzyhappymama said...

Thank you Amy, your blog is a constant source of encouragement and a reminder of what a wonderful job we have as mothers.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Amy for those words. I sometimes read Proverbs that correspond to the day of the month. I've read these words quite often. But reading it today spoke differently to me. What a nicer world this would be if we could control our tongue like the Word tells us too!!! I know my husband would like it a lot better!!!! love you Kathy E