Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Face of Love


Lately, feeding Evan has been...sweet.

Not that it hasn't always been sweet. As a nursing mom, and especially knowing that this (barring a miracle) is my last child, I have a particular fondness for Evan's mealtimes. But the little guy is stealing my heart even more these days.

He seems to be having trouble focusing on his need for nourishment.
Instead, he wants to focus on my face.

It takes me twice as long to nurse, because I can't deny myself--I spend as much time gazing back as he seems to desire.

Yeah, I know that all babies love faces. But still, he's studying me. He's getting to know me. I like to think that he's telling me he loves me.

There's something about looking directly into someone's eyes, isn't there? There's an intimacy, a manifestation of the desire to really know someone.

It reminds me of my need to constantly seek Someone's face. Someone who loves me with a love even greater than mine for my children (though hard to imagine). Someone who will give me all the nourishment I need to live in this love-starved world. Someone whom I desperately long to know better.

"Your face, O Lord, I shall seek."
Psalm 27:8

4 comments :

Lacey said...

Oh - I know just what you mean. About th elast child, about the staring, about the desie to look into the face of someone who just loves you.
Lovely post.

Anonymous said...

There's nothing any better than the love of your child, well except for the love of Jesus Christ, which we will one day be able to see Him face to face, like you said. I love Love!!!!!!! Love you, and I was patiently awaiting this blog!!! Kathy E

Unknown said...

That is so sweet. Thanks for sharing. He is a cutie pie!!!

Holly said...

Amy~ he is so adorable!! What a cutie pie(as your other children are too). Brings back memories of nursing my children. Love this blog!! God is sooooooo good!!!