Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hope


A few months ago, my brother gave us a plant that had set on his shaded deck during the summer. It's an indoor plant, and it sat in our garage for a while, though I had intentions of bringing it in "soon" (do you know how that is?).

One fall night (it was closer to winter), it got very cold. The plant sat in the cold garage all night.

I finally brought the plant in.

The plant died a slow death. The leaves began to wilt, and then they became dry. What was once a beautiful, thriving plant had become a brown, dry eyesore.

And eyesore it was. I don't know what is with me, but I let the dead plant hang out in our dining room for several weeks. Even when we had visitors who had never been to our home, I still did not remove the plant.

Why? I don't know!!! Probably for the same reason it took me so long to get the plant inside!

Anyway, a few weeks ago, I spotted something incredible. I saw green on the plant. It was trying to grow back! (Perhaps if you have a green thumb, you may not find this incredible. I do NOT have a green thumb and did not expect to see this!) I got my pruning shears and cut back all the dead that was there...basically every bit of foliage there was.

Now, the plant is thriving and is becoming beautiful again.

When I think of the spiritual application of this, one word comes to mind.

Hope.

When all looks to be dead, there is Hope. His name is Jesus Christ.

He was dead, and now He lives.
I was dead, and now I live.

Thank You, Lord, for Hope.

4 comments :

LORi said...

I LOVE this Amy...Thanks for sharing!!!

HUGS - LORi

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that Jesus Christ and my best friend,(you know who you are) didn't give up on me when I was withered and almost died. Praise God for His LOVE and GRACE!!! Thank-you Amy for this blog. Love you Kathy E

Anonymous said...

great application....and it sounds like your brother is an awesome guy!!

Lacey said...

I have no green thumb either.

But I love this story.

And I love
hope.