Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Messes


Tonight my kitchen floor is really dirty. Like, it's really crummy (as in it is covered in crumbs). It doesn't matter how often I clean it, it seems that there are always crumbs lying around (that's what I get for having darker hardwood that shows everything). All day today I knew that my floor needed cleaning, but I just haven't had time!

Tonight, Jake reached for his cup of milk on the counter--forgetting, apparently, that he had asked for it to be in a cup that was not a sippy cup--and spilled it all over my already filthy kitchen floor! He thought he was in big trouble, but we don't cry over spilled milk, right? I resisted the urge to scold him (since it was merely an accident) and started cleaning it up. He eagerly grabbed a towel and offered to help, so we cleaned the mess together!

When we were finally finished, I realized that my floor was way cleaner now than it had been before--at least in that area!!

Allow me to paraphrase. My floor was already a mess, but not messy enough for me to take the time to clean it. Then a major spill happened, which forced me to clean it thoroughly. In the end, the floor was clean, crumbs and all. The spilled milk served a purpose, didn't it?

This is my blog, and I can post whatever I want, right? But all I will say is this: to a certain group of people reading this (you know who you are), let's remember this analogy. Sometimes a bad situation, although discouraging (to put it very mildly), can open our eyes, and then in the end, we find ourselves in a place that is more beautiful than ever before.

5 comments :

Tiffany said...

I coulden't agree more, that was a beautiful analogy! I know this is a painful time but I really have a peace about it and I know God is going to use this to grow all of us if we will let him.

Jamie Hatter said...

Well said, Amen.

mom said...

great analogy Amy!

Lacey said...

I'm pretty sure the analogy here was not intended specifically for me - but it sure could have been.

what a much more God-honoring way to look at some of the messes I am currently standing in.

Thank you.

Anonymous said...

AMEN AMY!!! GOD IS IN CONTROL!!!! WHOA, WHOA, WHOA, GOD IS IN CONTROL!!!!! LOVE YOU, KATHY E