Monday, March 30, 2009

Stop and Smell the...Dandelions


One thing that I have always known about myself is that I love every season, especially when it first starts.  If I HAD to choose a favorite, it would be fall, but even then, when each new season rolls around, I find so much pleasure in the newness.

Right now our grass is so green, and little "blooms" of yellow are dotting our yard.  Yeah, I know that some people think dandelions are weeds, but I have had too many of them in vases to refer to them as weeds anymore.  If I had a nickel for every bouquet of dandelions given proudly to me by my kids, I would, well, I'd have quite a few nickels!  

Many times we have walked through the fields that separate our house from my parents' house and then their house from my grandparents' house, but in the spring, it takes twice as long!  Why?  Because my kids want to stop and pick all the dandelions (or at least smell of them until their noses turn yellow)!  There have been many times that I have wanted to rush the journey, needing (wanting) to get on to the destination.  Then I've had to stop and realize that for them, there is great joy in journey.  And what's even more amazing is that what they find so beautiful, many people spend lots of money trying to eliminate!  

Oh, I don't really know what great life application could come from this, except that it reminds me to just recognize the joys in the journey of my life.  And sometimes I may be surprised, since sometimes my greatest joy may seem like a "weed" to someone else.  God knows us so well, and He had created us all so uniquely.  He desires for us to enjoy our lives as we serve Him, and He gives us everything we need.  I thank Him for little lessons like this to remind me of His provision for my life.  And I KNOW I'm not the only mom who has learned to LOVE dandelions!

3 comments :

mom said...

you are quite wise beyond your years my sweet daughter!! I do remember on year we had SOOOOOO many dandelions in our yard that it actually looked quite beautiful, til they turned into puff balls. ugh, but I guess someone would find real beauty in those also. I haven't gotten there yet.

Holly Lindsey said...

Love it Amy! I too have learned to love dandelions. They are such a joy to receive after the love and smiles on my kids faces when they bring them to me. What a great reminder to enjoy the journey and not just the destination. What a great analogy. My daughter loves to blow those puff balls Judy.lol.

Anonymous said...

OH WHAT A LESSON. I DIDN'T GET AS MANY DANDELIONS AS YOU GUYS DID, BUT YOU KNOW I LOVED THEM THEN AND I STILL LOVE THEM. YOU KNOW SPRING IS MY FAVORITE SEASON. LOVE YOU, KATHY