Monday, March 9, 2009

Emily's Clarification

Okay, first of all, this time change is about to do me in.  Anybody with me?

I was so tired this morning that it was all I could do to fix breakfast.  I thought I might try to sneak in a few moments of "nap" while the kids were doing their chores, but of course that was a ridiculous idea.  So I decided that I ought to be responsible and take care of my duties as well.  I also prayed that God would rejuvenate me today so that I might be able to accomplish what I needed to without dragging about.  I praise Him because He absolutely did that!  I still feel much better, and I really do credit God for helping me because I didn't do anything different...I simply felt a boost of energy.  I thank Him that He cares about even the small details of my life!

Anyway, I want to share this little tidbit that kind of spoke to my heart today.  As I was gathering the plates off of the table this morning, I heard Emily screaming at Ashlyn, "I'm not going to play with you at all today!!!!!"  I just listened to hear what would come next.  I expected a retort from Ashlyn.  But instead, as if she realized the gravity of what she had just said and what it would mean for her later in the day, Emily softly said, "Well, I might play with you a little bit--but not very much!"

I had to laugh.  I thought it was so funny that she would make such a bold threat, and then immediately back down when she figured out that she just might want to play together later.  If only we could be so humble!  I thought about how many times we make bold (obnoxious) threats or speak before we think out of anger.  I loved that Emily had the innocence and honesty to clarify her words.  She didn't take it back completely, but she is only four years old after all.  Still, even though I'm sure we all say things we don't mean from time to time, I can't help but wonder how much better off many relationships would be if that sort of humility was present!

4 comments :

ashley brumley said...

James 1:19 (New International Version)

Listening and Doing
19My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,

James 1:19 (New King James Version)

Qualities Needed in Trials

19 So then,[a] my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath;

just a little verse that came to my head wheni read this. your blog is encouraging amy. like i said i tak and learn form it well i got to go eat. see ya wednesday liddles

ashley brumley said...

and yes the time change is about to do me in also it is so dark when i get on the bus and it makes me tired hopefully it will be better soon for all of us

Anonymous said...

thanks amy once again for your blog and God's truth!
i agree about the time change, but i sure love the daylight in the evenings. i also pray for God to give me the energy to go each day and
He is so true to His word.
love you amy, keep up the good work!!!!! kathy e

Unknown said...

Looks to me that Ashlyn is knocking-down one notch, the famous "American Mothers Favorite Prayer": "God help you,,,if you ever do that again". Seems like Ashlyn's responce was so nice, that no introvention was needed. Probably was the good work of the Mother who is in the Lords hand?
Bill