Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Declaration

I'm really sorry that today's blog is lengthy...these are just some thoughts that came to mind this morning...

For a long time I have felt very strongly that we live in times which are very urgent.  It doesn't require a long look at our world to realize that we are in a downward spiral morally, socially and in many ways spiritually.  As pessimistic as that sounds, though, I know that our future as Christians is not completely bleak.  There are fiery trials which we now and will endure, yet we hold hope that they will end with our glorious reunion of loved ones and our Lord Jesus Christ.  

With those things in mind, I was thinking of James 4:4, "Do you not know that friendship with the world is hostility toward God?  Therefore whoever wishes to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God."

What is friendship with the world?  As I read several passages this morning, I couldn't help but think about how easy it is to get sucked in to the world's views.  After all, it is all around us.  Television.  Radio.  Newspapers.  Magazines.  Sadly, many people, even Christians, don't realize that we are subtly (and many times not-so-subtly) bombarded with information and programs that are so often just secular rhetoric.  Before you go thinking that I'm some paranoid homebody, I don't think it's wrong to be in the world.  After all, Scripture teaches us that we must be relevant in our world so that we may spread the gospel of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:19-23).  We have to seek God's wisdom in living a life according to Biblical standards--not merely good standards.

It is so important for us to be on the alert at all times, as is urged of us in Ephesians 6:12, as well as 1 Peter 5:8, which says "Be on the alert.  Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour."  I am so burdened that so many do not take this seriously. 

We cannot be "friends" with the world.  James is very clear that such a friendship is hostility towards God.  So how does that apply in a practical way to our lives?  Unfortunately, I can't answer that for you, but God can when you seek His wisdom on it.  For me, in a simple sense, it means saturating myself with the Word.  It means that I can't believe everything that I read in newspapers or on the internet as truth, unless it matches up with God's Word.  It means that I have to be keenly aware of God's truth so that I am able to recognize the lies.  

I realize that the world, since the fall of man, has been morally and spiritually below God's standards.  That's why He sent Jesus.  But the times of today carry a sense of urgency that calls out to believers, prompting us to adhere to the truth of God's Word like never before.  

Consider these lyrics, from the chorus of Mercy Me's song "Crazy",
I have not been called
To the wisdom of this world
But to a God who's calling out to me
And even though the world may think
I'm losing touch with reality
It would be crazy to choose this world
Over eternity

That's my desire.  That's my declaration.  How about you?

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the encouraging words Amy. When you think of the world as it relates to a friend, a friend is someone you would do anything for. I definitely don't want to reach a point where I'm doing anything for this world! It seems like everyday I'm hearing of people that ARE creating friendship with the world and doing anything for it. Unfortunately, they are totally forgetting and/or ignoring Christ. We must be examples of Christ for these people that are so seduced by the friendship of this world. Thanks again for the good word!

Mack