Friday, November 21, 2008

A Tribute of Sorts

Yesterday evening my Uncle Clint passed away.  He had a massive stroke on January 7, 2008, so needless to say it has been a rough year for him and his family.  I know that he is so much better now.  I know that.  But it doesn't mean I won't miss him!  In reflecting on his life, I thought of a couple of funny stories I wanted to mention.  

I have shared this first one with several people, because it's my favorite!!  A long time ago, I don't even know when, Uncle Clint lost his index finger.  For as long as I can remember he only had a little stump.  When I was a little girl I would ask him what happened to his finger, and his answer was always the same:  "I was picking my nose one day and a booger ate it off!"  I don't know why, but I never questioned it, and to this day I could not tell you what really happened.  I've been told for sure, but I can only remember the booger story!!!  :)

I always loved visiting Aunt Shirley and Uncle Clint many times when they lived in Ohio.  One morning, as Uncle Clint was getting ready to go to work, I remember him walking up the hallway asking Aunt Shirley if she had "manufactured" his lunch.  I thought that was so funny!  He always had a way of saying things!

The best thing I'll remember about Uncle Clint is his gentle spirit.  He was always so good to me, as well as the rest of the family.  He always had a way of letting you know you were special to him, and I really felt like he meant it.  Just over a year ago, not long before his stroke, my cousin (his son) came up to record a few songs for me.  We were set up at church and were there pretty much all day.  Uncle Clint sat on the front row for much of the recording session, just listening.  The other part of the day, when my kids were getting restless, he played with them so that we could finish the recording.  I'll always remember that.

The day that my dad called to tell me about Uncle Clint's stroke, it was so sad.  I'll never forget going to see him at the hospital, wondering if he would make it through the day.  I remember sitting among my family members, wanting to do something to encourage him.  I felt impressed to sing a particular song to him, so even though I felt a little awkward at first, I knew I would regret it if I didn't do it.  So I held his hand and through tears, sang these words, "Because He lives, I can face tomorrow, because He lives, all fear is gone, because I know He holds the future, and life is worth the living, just because He lives."  Even though he was barely responsive, I felt him kind of pull me close when I finished.  I will never forget it.  

Please remember our family in prayer during this time, especially Aunt Shirley and their kids and grandkids.  Even though we will miss him so much, really only grieve for ourselves, since we know that he is in a much better place.  What a comfort to know that we'll see him again one day "because He lives".

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your uncle's death, Amy. I'll remember you and your family in prayer.

Anonymous said...

Amy,
That is so special. I know he must have been a fine person because of the way your family loved him. I'll be praying for all of you.

Annette

Anonymous said...

so sweet....brought tears to my eyes!!! He was and always will be a very special person to this family. He is our brother, father, friend for sure.

By the way, he lost his finger while doing an electrical job. He was hoping it would keep your fingers out of your nose Amy, but I don't think it worked. What do you think?? ha ha

Anonymous said...

Amy, sorry about your uncle's passing but so thankful he is with our heavenly Father. So hard to lose our loved ones but when we know where they are it gives peace. Our prayers are with you and family. I enjoy your blog so much because it brings precious memories to mind of my little ones. how I love the hat of Mom and Granny. Children are certainly a gift from God. In Christ, Martha D

Anonymous said...

AMY, I GUESS I'M TENDER TODAY BUT THIS BROUGHT TEARS TO MY EYES. I DIDN'T KNOW CLINT, BUT I'VE HEARD SOME GREAT THINGS ABOUT HIM FROM YOUR MOM. I KNOW HE'LL BE MISSED, BUT THINK HOW MUCH SWEETER HEAVEN MUST BE NOW THAT HE IS THERE!!!!YOU AND YOUR FAMILY ARE IN MY PRAYERS! LOVE YOU, KATHY E

Justine said...

Hey Amy-

Thanks so much for this post. I have been struggling a bit lately with memories of Papaw since we have lived so far from him for so long. I was feeling really guilty about it, but as I was reading your blog, I could envision him saying those things and doing those things, and I too believed for so long, without question, that the booger ate Papaw's finger off.

So thank you for your memories, and hopefully with time I will begin to remember my own memories. I do know Papaw is in a better place and with Jesus so I rejoice for his eternity, but I am sad to have lost such an amazing Papaw. Thanks again. Love you-

Justine