Sunday, March 14, 2010

And Then There Was Jake

Look at this kid. I mean, really look at this kid.

The expression. The pointing finger. The jeans.

I do a lot of praying about Jacob. Not that I don't pray for my other kids. In fact, I pray specifically for all of them every day. But with Jacob, I find myself whispering a lot of "in the moment" prayers.

As the above photo so accurately exhibits, Jacob is a child who does his own thing. For example, if Jake doesn't feel like talking to you, he doesn't whine, or say he doesn't want to talk, or even look at you. You are just invisible to him.

If Jacob wants a bouncy ball from the bouncy ball machine at soccer, and you tell him that you're sorry but you don't have a quarter, he doesn't hear you say that. He just keeps asking and you keep having to tell him over and over that you physically cannot get him a bouncy ball even if you wanted to. It doesn't matter to him. He didn't hear that. He just keeps asking.

If Jacob doesn't want to take a nap, and he screams and cries because you are making him, and so you decide to discipline him for his disrespect, he doesn't care. He will take the discipline and continue to scream and cry so much that you finally have to shut the door and hold it shut so he doesn't succeed in trying to get out, and then you have to (with one hand because the other hand is on the doorknob) reach to the nearby bookshelf and find your copy of The Strong-Willed Child by Dr. Dobson and frantically search the pages to see if there is any other advice for this situation, all while saying an "in the moment" prayer that God would help you to stay in control!

Whew. Just remembering that day wears me out.

Jacob is a good kid. He is also a funny kid. He's a darn cute kid too. He is a good, funny, cute kid...with a very strong will.

I have prayed lots of prayers for wisdom concerning this three year old boy. This task of parenting sometimes seems daunting, doesn't it? But God knows our children. He knows my little boy. He knew what He was doing when He gave him to us, and He has equipped us (though sometimes I question!) to help shape this strong will that He has given Jacob. I mean, if the conviction with which Jake lives his life as a three year old carries over into a life that longs to please the Lord, I can't imagine how much he will be used for the Kingdom!

I'm nowhere near a perfect parent. These "battles" with Jake wear me out sometimes! I always pray that I will know where to draw that fine line of Godly discipline and arbitrary punishment. I try to stick to the areas of disrespect and disobedience, and, you know, if he wants to wear his pants backwards or sport his monster truck galoshes when it's ninety degrees outside, I'll let it go. Some battles aren't worth fighting! I want to spend my energy on the ones that are, and trust that God will show me how to do it, since He knows my son better than I do!

But oh, how I love this kid. He's awesome...backwards jeans and all.

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Oh Amy, Bless your heart honey. You're doing such a good job with all your kids, but they all have different personalities. some stronger willed than others!ha Jake is such a cute child and all of this just cracks me up, but I know it's different when it's your own child, especially when they are acting up. Great parenting both you and Jason. Love you Kathy e

Lacey said...

Man - I have one of those boys too. And with the discipline - it's s tricky isn't it? It is like he just does not hear you. Just continues on insanely.
I am always reaching for this Lisa Whelchel book I read that has an index in it with matching Bible verse to the issues - and praying a lot too! :)

mom said...

This takes me back to a day when I had a very strong-willed child, so determined to do things her way. I too did a lot of praying. But you know, God gave her that personality, and today she is a very very wise and wonderful person who has very strong convictions and lives by them daily. Just in case you don't know who I'm talking about, it is YOU my dear daughter. If I had it to do all over again, (although then I probably would have changed you if I could) I wouldn't change a thing about you. God has and will continue to use you and your wisdom! Keep up the good work! I love you very much! I know God has great things in store for Jacob as well as your other children!

mom said...

That explains why he looked like a "cute" little hobo at church last night!! ha ha......You'll probably kill me for posting this!

Unknown said...

It is because you had girls first. It would not surprise you if you had boys first. Boys are different. Have you read Bringing up boys by Dobson. It was really good and I am so glad I read it before Hezekiah was born! BOYS are SOOOO different. Maggie is such a breeze compared to my guys. :) But I love how different they are. It is truly a blessing to be able to witness both, I feel sad for friends who just get to experience the one side of it all.