Saturday, October 24, 2009

True Love



~C. S. Lewis

I could have decided that my heart was too valuable. That it wasn't worth the risk. But because I didn't make that choice, my heart is wide open. Wide open for pain. Wide open to yearn. Wide open to be broken.

But more than that....

it's wide open for joy. Wide open for happiness. Wide open to love and be loved.

It's sometimes a scary thing to look at my children, or to watch my newborn, so helpless and dependent, and realize the depth of love that I have in my heart. It's scary because I know that it makes me vulnerable to the worst kind of pain. To love, is indeed, to give your heart away. But the joy in the journey far outweighs the pain of a loveless life.

To be in a place of feeling and vulnerablility is far better than the callous, cold "safety" of a guarded heart that refuses to love.

3 comments :

mom said...

very well said Amy! I have always said that loving was painful but you said it so well saying that " the joy in the journey far outweighs the pain of a loveless life. "

I cannot think of anything that would be more painful than that of losing a child (or a grandchild i might add) It pains me so much to think about the possibility of losing one of them, but the joy that I have gained from knowing and loving each one is something that I would not trade for anything in this world. Life is full of risks and loving is just one of the greatest!!

Windsor Wool Farm said...

Congratulations to you and the family! What a beautiful boy! We here at the Nilsson household are rejoicing with you! He is such a blessing.

Lacey said...

I love this quote by Lewis - one of his many incredible ones. Gosh - we do just make ourselves so vulnerable - don't we? And I think we can do it so much better when we have been blessed by parents who have allowed themselves to be made so vulnerable as well - and I can see from her frequent encouraging comments that she is your biggest fan. (As it should be.) Although it makes me miss my mom so much, I am glad to learn to love my kids they way she loved me.
I have been thinking about you a ton and I hope you are doing well - resting (hehe) and staring at that little new guy with your sleepy eyes!
You are certainly in my thoughts.