Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Wow Factor

This picture has nothing to do with this post, but I just love it and wanted to show it off again.  :)

My seven year old "wowed" me a couple of times today.

First, I had a doctor's appointment today.  I recruited my mom to accompany me (which is usually the case), because we like to do things together, and also because it is a GREAT help when I don't have to take the kids into the appointment with me.  There is a lobby outside of the waiting room, where people are constantly shuffling in and out, waiting for valet parking, waiting for the elevator, getting a drink at the water fountain...you get the idea.  Mom decided to watch the kids out in the lobby instead of the waiting room, because, well, it's naturally louder out there and the kids have a little more room to...um...I don't know...just do whatever they do while I'm with the doctor.  

Anyway, when I was finished I came out into the lobby, but before I opened the door I could hear little voices...singing!  When I stepped out, there were my two girls, standing as if on a stage, crayons for microphones, using the sheets they had colored as song sheets, singing "Awesome God" at the top of their lungs (well, nearly).  

I would expect this out of Emily.  But Ashlyn is usually very shy about these things when there are people around.  But there they both were, like entertainers on the street, singing for all of the valet and elevator and water fountain people.  Wow!  I was quite amused!

The second thing that happened today was during the sudden storm that came upon us from the north.  It came very quickly and was unusual since our weather usually comes from the west.  Anyway, as leaves were blowing around outside and thunder was sounding, Ashlyn curiously asked me, "Mom, storms always pass by, don't they?"  I replied, "Yes, they sure do."  Then, ever so casually, she said, "Just like anger, huh?"  

"What?"

Ashlyn responded, "It's just like anger.  Sometimes you feel angry, but then it passes by and you aren't angry anymore."  

I didn't know where that came from, but I was thrilled at her insight and took the opportunity to elaborate (ever so slightly of course):  "That's right, Ashlyn.  That's why when we're angry we should be careful not to say or do things that we will be sorry for later."  

That was enough.

And I was wowed.

2 comments :

Lacey said...

Lovely.

mom said...

It was very difficult for me to hide my pride when they were singing in the lobby but it was so precious. They were oblivious to people around them or so it seemed. And you didn't get to see Jacob walking all around the lobby with my sandals (with a heel) on. People were cracking up at him and he was paying them no attention at all, he just kept walking! Hilarious!! So much fun!!