Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Mamaw

Wow, what a week it's been!  

Over the weekend, as many of you may know, my grandmother passed away.  Last July, while we were on vacation in Florida, I received word that she had been diagnosed with lung cancer.  This past Saturday, while we were visiting the Smokies, we received word of her death.  

The feelings that come with this kind of passing of a loved one are complex--you are thankful that they are no longer suffering, but even then, there is a darkness that comes with the passage from "life" to "death".  But then another feeling that comes is wonder, because someone that I knew so well is in a place that I have only dreamt about.  My Mamaw was a very Godly lady, and I believe that after all that she suffered within the past year, she desperately longed for this day.  

Mamaw was also a very loving woman, who raised seven kids through many hard times.  She was genuinely fun to be around, with a great spirit.  That spirit has been passed down to many of her kids--so family get-togethers are never boring!!

The greatest thing is that she never failed to let us know how proud she was of us, or how much she loved us.  I sang at her church on several occasions, and right after she died, one of the first things I thought about was a certain look she had on her face during every song I sang.  I have never doubted her love for me, nor how proud she was, not just of me, but of all her family. 

I remember visiting Mamaw, and when it came time for us to leave, she would always say, "What's your hurry?"  It didn't matter how long I'd been there, she ALWAYS asked me that question.  I could ask her the same thing right now, except that I KNOW she had a better place to go.  It's going to be a sweet reunion in heaven when loved ones are reunited, and to think that it will happen in the presence of the One who gave His life for us.  She's there!  So even though we'll miss her now, we have peace because we can be assured that we will see her again.  

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

Amy,so sorry about your loss. I know your grandmother was a wonderful lady. I knew your great grandmother, I used to visit on Sundays after church with your great Aunt Marcella. I had no idea who your moma was until I read in the paper about Silvarene passing. No wonder there is so much musical talent knowing your relatives. God has blessed you all and others He blesses when you share your talents.May God give you peace and comfort your family during this time. I enjoy your blog. Congratulations are in order for your expected arrival in a few months. We are expecting a great gradchild in Sept. We are so excited. Love in Christ, Martha dean

Annette said...

Amy, My Mamaw died when I was about your age and I can remember thinking of the song, "I've got more to go to heaven for, than I had yesterday". Of course, we all want to go see Jesus first, but when we start having loved ones there, it seems more real and we start wanting to know more about it. It's awesome to think that we will see them again someday! Praying for you!