Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Whose Glory?


Okay, I just can't resist.  The big news last week was, of course, the untimely death of Michael Jackson, "King of Pop".  I have to confess that I really, really like Michael Jackson, and I think his story and life are tragic.

Yes, I know about the child molestation charges.  I know that personally, he was a strange man.  But I also know that a man of his talent and artistry as a musician is rare, and for that, I really liked him.

As I pondered these things over the last few days, I asked myself, "What exactly is it that makes people like Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley and other celebrities turn to things such as bizarre behavior, drugs and isolation?"  The tragic ending of so many of these talented lives brings about a conclusion that became obvious to me:

We were not made to be worshipped; but we were made TO worship...and to worship ONLY the one true GOD.

Human beings were not created with the ability to handle the pressure of being worshipped.  Yet that is what happens with celebrities such as Michael Jackson.  I'm not saying that he bears no responsibility, but isn't that something to think about?  I tend to think that the only way a human can cope with fame is by then turning around and giving ALL glory to God the Father, accepting none of it for himself.  Sadly, that rarely, if ever happens with our world's biggest stars.  I guess if they did choose to do so, they wouldn't be the "superstars" that they are.

The thoughts I've had about this are actually kind of difficult for me to articulate, but they are thoughts that I felt were worth putting out there--for we also bear the responsibility to not "worship" people.  Even people such as Bible teachers, theologians, and Christian musicians and authors.  It's very easy for us to sometimes look at even our own church leaders and place them on a pedestal of sorts.  That puts them in a very tempting position to take the glory for themselves.  We are all responsible for laying all glory, not matter who it is aimed for, at the feet of our Father, for He is the ONLY one who deserves it and is able to handle it.

4 comments :

mom said...

Amen my daughter! You have articulated it well! I had not thought of it in this way but you are so right, we as human beings absolutely cannot handle being worshiped. Can't really understand it other than the fact that God said that we should not bow down or worship any other gods as He is a jealous God. He alone is the only One worthy of being worshiped.

Holly Shockey Lindsey said...

Amen!! Beautifully said.

ashley brumley said...

:) agreed to by me

Gabe Steele said...

I think that you make a very insightful observation. As human beings we are made in the image of God, but that does not give us the ability to handle being made into a object of worship.
What I personally find even sadder that people are exchanging a truth for a lie and worshiping the "stars" of our culture. I believe that God is sovereign over all of creation and He will always speaks out against our idols crushing them whether it be the gods of money, sex, or fame.
With Michael's unfortunate death, the king of pop is no longer with us, and I am forever grateful that the King of Kings is still alive sitting on His throne waiting to come back and establish His kingdom!