Monday, May 18, 2009

The Little Things


Some highlights of my day today...

I got to fix breakfast.

I got to teach multiplication and the Code of Hammurabi.

I made cheese sandwiches and cut up apples for lunch.

I took a walk with my mom and the kids.

I washed and folded four loads of laundry.

I made taco salad for dinner.  

I ate a honeybun on the way home from the softball game.

I prayed with my children and kissed them goodnight.


I know...it's so exciting isn't it!!!  And to think that those were just the highlights!  (hee hee)  

I have to say, though, that even though my days aren't really very exciting, and even though I get tired of slicing apples and cutting the crust off of cheese sandwiches, and even though I'm itching for the end of May so we can celebrate summer break, I am thankful for my life, and I feel so blessed!  Sometimes it's tempting to look at the mundane aspect of our lives and get in a rut.  I have been there so many times.  But I also know that a thankful heart is produced by noticing and appreciating those same mundane things, recognizing God's hand of providence and blessing within our circumstances.

I forgot to mention that during dinner, Ashlyn randomly commented that she cannot wait for the day when she can see Jesus face to face.  Subsequently, Emily commented that when she sees Jesus, the first thing she is going to do is give Him a BIG hug.  And oh yeah, I got to see Ashlyn get on base every time she was at bat.  And then tonight she offered an apology to me (on her own) for an offense she had committed earlier today. 

But you know, even on days when those kind of encouraging things don't happen, I hold on to the promise that God will reward our efforts at being Godly parents.  Don't be discouraged!  It's our faithfulness in the seemingly mundane areas of our lives that so often lead to fulfilling rewards.  And God will always bless faithfulness to His Word.  So, if you're feeling in a rut--take heart!  Be encouraged that God sees the little things!

5 comments :

Shawna said...

My favorite part of your post was "I got to make breakfast." It says so much about your appreciation for the little things in life and your optimism! So many others would have said "I had to make breakfast." I think I am so used to hearing people say "I had to make lunch" or "I had to go to the store" that I did a double take when I read that first sentence.

All the best.

mom said...

Your life is so full of sweet blessings! I love reading about the things your children say and do and the way you interact with them. Could it possibly be because they are my grandchildren??? hee hee. Seriously tho, I'm thankful you recognize those things as blessings and not chores. The way the girls talk about Jesus is just so sweet and I wish we all had that same excitement. Precious and so are you!!! mom

Kim O said...

Thank you for your insight. I am getting to see some rewards of being a faithful and consistent parent right now. Even in tough times, when we feel like our efforts have been in vain or that we've failed miserably, the Lord is faithful to reward our efforts. His mercy and grace are amazing.

Julie said...

Great post/reminder, Amy! Thanks. I've held to this verse lately: Galatians 6:9--"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up." Talk about a wonderful promise, especially with the frustrations or discouragement that can come with parenthood! Hope you are feeling well! Love and miss you!

~Julie McClung~

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR POST AMY. YOU'RE SUCH A GOOD MOM AND A GODLY PARENT. IT SEEMS LIKE THE SIMPLE THINGS THAT STICK IN OUR MEMORIES,AND YOU'RE CREATING LOTS!!!!!!! LOVE YOU, KATHY E