Thursday, May 7, 2009

Helping Hands

Today at the Liddle Homeschool we took advantage of the break in the rain and had a morning of "horticulture" class outside!

I went to the greenhouse yesterday and purchased several flats of flowers.  I was the only one there...probably because it was pouring the rain!  But, I figured I'd been waiting long enough to get my flowers this spring--I didn't want to wait any longer!  So, I got the flowers, and today was the perfect day to set them out.  

The girls helped me so much with their digging and setting, not to mention their good company.  Ashlyn felt the need to pull all of the worms (the many, many worms) out of the way of the flowers before they were planted.  That took some time.  She carefully added EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM to her jar of fishing bait.  I hope she goes fishing soon so the worms can be put out of their misery!  :)

After a while, they sauntered off to pick flowers in the field and enjoy the time outside.  Jacob spent most of his time in the mud puddle where our beloved (and much missed) playhouse used to set.  Then he found a small spade and decided that digging around in the mulch with me was just as entertaining.

We had a good day, and I feel happy that my flowers are in the ground.  Sometimes having "helpers" makes the job twice as long, but the joy and excitement that they have in doing this job makes it all worthwhile.  I love their little helping hands!
Emily actually DID get her hands dirty today!  Then of course
she was back to her old self, posing nicely in front of the rhododendrons.
If you look carefully, you can see that big sister Ashlyn
is gently passing a toad off to her little brother.
After a while, Jacob finally let the little guy go and then 
hopped around the yard following him.  I was so afraid 
he was going to jump on it and squish it!  Ewwwww!
This was a dream come true for this guy.
His left eye eventually became caked shut with mud.

3 comments :

Julie said...

Those picture are too cute, Amy! What great memories!

Lacey said...

What happened to the playhouse?

ashley brumley said...

aww how cute i had to go to school today... but my step dads mother had and stroke last night and is in lexington and he was up there all night and i didnt get to see him until i came home frome school today. she is doing okay she can't talk, the stroke effected her speech and she is gonna have to learn to talk again poor thing keep her (mary morgan) in your prayers please. but besides that today was great our teschers took us outside for like two hours to just hang out but we had to walk in a circle for and hour and then we went out back and hugn out for an hour and our teachers where asking us what we wanted to do when we grow up!! and my advisor was worried about me cause of don's mom i was so tired and worried today!!! but the lord will take care of every thing!!
-ashley