Wednesday, April 8, 2009

His Higher Ways


If you know my daughter Emily at all, then you may have noticed the fact that she loves to wear dresses.  In fact, if you see her not in a dress, then it's either because her pants have "sparklies" on them or because her shirt is sporting some sort of animal or princess.

Needless to say, we have made great use of all of her tights this winter.

So, the other day when I needed her to get dressed, I was sort of in a hurry and I'd asked her to go ahead and put her skirt on so I could finish up what I was doing.  This meant that the dress was going on before I put her tights on (instead of vice versa as usual).  She put up such a fuss, saying that it just didn't make sense to her.  I tried to explain that it would be fine and that her tights would be put on correctly, but she kept refusing because she didn't understand (I think in her mind she was imagining me putting her tights on over her skirt).

Running low on time (and patience), I finally said to her, "Emily, I know what I'm talking about.  Sometimes you just have to obey me even when you don't understand!"

Yikes.

My words of discipline to my daughter cut me to the core with conviction.

"But Lord, I can't be kind to that person.  If I do then they'll think I'm accepting what they've done."

"Lord, I'll do anything--just not that.  That doesn't make sense at all."

"Father, I know I am commanded to forgive, but I can't just let something like this go."

How many times have we all made statements such as these to our Heavenly Father?  And how many times has our Heavenly Father urged us to simply obey, even when we don't understand?

When I think of all that God has done for me, I remember His goodness, His faithfulness, His mercy and His lovingkindness.  I can see where He has reached out to me, even in the midst of times when I've felt alone.  But yet somehow, I still have trouble sometimes obeying Him when I don't understand what's going on.  I have trouble following His voice when it doesn't make sense to me.  I am so selfish.  My mind is so small.  

God is all-knowing, all-powerful and loves us so much.  He sees the big picture when we can only see inches in front of us.  I have been encouraged to continue on the path that God has laid out for me, even though I may not see the end result...yet.  He is ever faithful, and He is always true to His promises--even when we don't understand.

Isaiah 55:8-9, 11
"For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways My ways,"
declares the Lord.
"For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are My ways higher than your ways
And My thoughts than your thoughts.
So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth;
It will not return to Me empty,
Without accomplishing what I desire,
And without succeeding in the matter
for which I sent it."

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

so true amy so true. GOD bless got to go oh and good message before school
ashley

Anonymous said...

Amy after reading your post, I thought a lot about what you wrote. I wanted to share some thoughts, scripture and a story that come to mind.

When we first learned to walk, we fall many times. But we get up and tried again until eventually we learn how to walk. Does the same happen when unpleasant circumstances come and knock us down? Do we fall, and not get up and be strong again? Do we harbor bitterness against those who hurt us? Or do we become bitter towards life when our world seems to tear apart?

It's okay to tell God we don't understand, but not question God's goodness. God never promise that we would always understand His ways
When things come and knock us down, what should we do?

James 5:13-15
Is anyone among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing praises. [14] Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord; [15] and the prayer offered in faith will restore the one who is sick, and the Lord will raise him up, and if he has committed sins, they will be forgiven him.

I once heard a story of this farmer, who was carrying a sack of potatoes over his back, walking to the market. A pickup came along and offered him a ride to the market. He gladly accepted the ride and sat in the back. After a while, the driver turned around to see how the farmer was doing, and to his surprise, saw the farmer carrying the sack on his back, while sitting in the back of the truck!

We prayed about the issue but still carry the burden on ourselves. We find it difficult to leave our burdens at the feet of Jesus. We are almost like the farmer--we gladly accepted the ride, and yet we refuse to put down the sack of potatoes in the truck.
Matthew 11:28-30

Thank you for sharing your growth and that lovely picture of Emily

Anonymous said...

Thought you and your readers might like




In my secret place
That's where I found You
Just You and me
Talking face to face.
In my secret place
I don't have to be someone else
I can come as I am
You'll take me just the same.
In my secret place
I poured out my tears and fears
There's nothing I can hide from You
You knew everything from the start.

In my secret place
There's no other place I'd rather be
In those still and quiet moments
That's where I learned more of You.

Deny me not
In my secret place
Oh...my Lord and Saviour
How I long just to be in Your presence.

Jennie McWhorter said...

Amy, This really made me remember once when something very similar happened with Katelyn. She was accustomed to pulling her panties on first after getting bathed. One night, I grabbed her gown first and tried to put it on her and she became very distraught. Jeff asked what was wrong and when I told him, I added "I guess it's her personal preference." Well, anyone who knows Katelyn knows she has a strong Kentucky Hillbilly accent so she began letting people know about her "personal prefe-rance" (pronounced with emphasis on the "a").

Holly Lindsey said...

so good.....and i love how God speaks not only through us but to us as we are speaking words of instruction,etc to our kids. Children are such a blessing in more ways than one.lol