Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Fruit of the Day--Joy

Joy.

This picture brings me joy.


Being with my family brings me joy.

My friends bring me joy.

My husband brings me joy.

The fact that Jacob has gone three days with no "accidents" brings me joy.

I felt joy when Ashlyn encouraged me to do my morning Bible study again today.

I felt joy when she wanted to sit next to me with her Bible too!

I felt joy when Emily told me she wanted to be a rock star who worships God. :)

But, if all of those things were taken away, would I still have joy? I believe that many times we confuse true joy with mere happiness. So, what is the difference?

Happiness exists when something good happens, or when life is going well. When a person has true joy, it exists even when things are not always good. There is only one place from where true joy comes, and that is from the Giver of all good things: God.

When I realize that He is my true source of joy, I can feel it even when things aren't going all that great. I sometimes have to intentionally plug into that resource, lest I become overwhelmed by the uncertainty of my circumstances, but His abundant flow is available to me at all times. The enemy would like nothing better than to steal away our joy, especially during times when we are vulnerable, like when we are going through a difficult time. But God's Word is full of promises, including several on joy.

Jesus said in John 16:22, "So with you: Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no one will take away your joy." We can believe that when we find our joy in a relationship with Him, our suffering on this earth will one day be turned to everlasting joy.

Real joy is deeper than happiness. Happiness can fade, but true joy will last. And when we walk in the Spirit instead of our flesh, divine joy will be evident in our lives and others will hopefully be drawn to Jesus as a result.

I dare say that everyone experiences happiness to some degree, but only those who know the hope of Christ ever experience true joy.

2 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMEN, AMY
SUCH A GOOD-LOOKING FAMILY. I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!
AMY YOU KNOW AS WELL AS I DO THAT SOMETIMES WHEN YOUR HEALTH IS SUFFERING AND YOU'VE BEEN GOING THRU THIS FOR QUITE SOME TIME, JOY(happiness)FADES AWAY, BUT THANK GOD FOR TRUE JOY BECAUSE THAT IS ONE OF THE MEDICINES THAT SOOOOO VERY MUCH HELPS TO HEAL THE BODY AND SOUL!!!!! LOVE YOU AND KEEP UP THE ENCOURAGING WORDS!!! KATHY E

mom said...

Well said Amy. I'm so thankful that I have joy in my life no matter what my circumstances may be. So thankful to be a child of God.

So Emily wants to be a rock star huh??? funny!!!