Tuesday, December 9, 2008

To "Anonymous"

Well, it seems that I need to make a clarification.  Thank you "Anonymous" for your comments, although I wish you had left your name so that I knew to whom I was writing.  But that's okay.  I appreciate your expression of concern, for I am, after all, an imperfect human and sometimes say things that either come across in the wrong way, or may be just flat incorrect.

In this case, however, my words came across the wrong way.  I agree with most of your comments.  We are  absolutely "guilty" before a Holy God--BEFORE we become saved.  I am not a "fluff" Christian who only wants to hear feel good sermons and thinks that life is just happy-go-lucky all the time, thinking that God doesn't have a "wrath" side.  I agree that there is way too much of that going on in the emerging church.  I agree with you that before we can ever become saved we have to know that without Christ, we are absolutely, 100% guilty of sin.  It's where we have to be in order to truly accept the gift of His imputed righteousness and justification.  It's a gift that astounds me, for it is wholly undeserved; it is the essence of God's grace.

The scripture you quoted describes what happened when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost, and what still happens today when a non-believer is convicted of sin.  What the Spirit does there (convict in order to bring salvation) is entirely different than what the Enemy does (guilt people into a life of shame).  This is the distinction to which I was referring.  1 Timothy 3:6 talks about the "condemnation incurred by the devil".  Revelation 12:10 tells us that the enemy "accuses [the brethren] before our God day and night."  This kind of guilt is from the enemy, not God, as is stated in Romans 8:1, "Therefore there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  He has taken our "guilt" away.  

In my last post, I was referring to the ongoing feeling of guilt that is clearly not brought on by the Spirit.  Yes, when I do things that are not of God, I am convicted of it and know that the Spirit is urging me to confess.  But I do not live a life filled with guilt.  That kind of attitude, from the enemy, would only keep me from fellowship with my Father.  But the discipline and conviction brought on by the Holy Spirit allows me to move freely to Him within the realms of His grace as a means of restoration and growth.  There is a difference, and this is what I meant.  I will re-word my post, lest anyone else get the same impression.  Thank you "Anonymous"!

6 comments :

Anonymous said...

AMY, I DIDN'T TAKE YOU POST OF DEC 8TH THE WAY THAT ANONYMOUS DID. I AGREE WITH YOU 100%. I DO AGREE WITH ANONYMOUS ON THE GUILT BEFORE SALVATION, COMING FROM GOD(WHICH I'M SO THANKFUL FOR). THANK-YOU AMY, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK FOR OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR JESUS CHRIST......
KATHY E

Anonymous said...

I have disagree a bit about what that anonymous had said, for those of us true christians who have a daily walk, true guilt is experienced, and not out of pride, at least not for me. i have guilt because I did or didn't do something that God had told me to whether from His lips or His word. The Spirit, if we are listening is showing me that and because my mind (if we are molding it in His word) knows what the Spirit is convicting me of and then I feel guilty becasue i truly know what i should have done based on God's word. Not Pride, pride is left behind the moment we are shown ourselves through Christ and humbleness settles in, even in every day conversations. there may be alot of guilt out there fromprideful people but i am a firm believer that thos of us truly walking close with god are guilty not from pride but from falling short of His perfect grace. I believe that is somewhat of where you were coming from too. if not, i am sorry. I too did not take your post the way they did. Love you and have a great day "AJ" becca

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the messy comment i am in a bit of a hurry today at work!
becca

Anonymous said...

Although I appreciate the thought provoking comments from "anonymous" regarding your blog on "Celebration", I'm not sure I understand where he/she stands on their interpretation of guilt and conviction. I always felt that guilt came from an act of sin, which Satan is the author of and conviction is of the Holy Spirit. To me there is a difference between guilt and conviction. Conviction of sin DRAWS us to God while guilt puts a wedge between us and God. Hope this makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Well said Judy! I agree.

Mack

Anonymous said...

amen sistern in Christ. kathy e